Egg collecting question!

All 4 of mine use the same nest. If one is in there I just reach under her and gather what is there. A few times she has sort of half stood and layed while I was collecting. Odd feeling, a slightly wet egg....

I'm like a lot of the other folks who have responded. I go out each day and collect all the eggs that are here. The next day there are more. I don't want to leave any as I don't want them going broody on me. I got rid of all the roosters anyway. I have 6 nest boxes for 19 hens. They use only 3 of the nest boxes. One nest had 4 eggs in it yesterday.

Quote:
So.. I should not reach in and take an egg from under my hens? My hens have been laying for 1-3 weeks now (some more than others) and they have seen me collect eggs (although I do leave 2 fake ones in each nest). What happens if they see you take the eggs - will they try to find a new hiding place?

A lot of people do take the eggs from right under the hen. Its just not my personal style.

we do the same thing. go out a couple of times a day and I don't mind taking them out from a sitter
smile.png
don't want them to go broody on me. had a duck do that once and it took forever to get her off the eggs!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom