Egg collecting question?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sparrow75, Oct 29, 2010.

1. sparrow75

sparrow75 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    How long can i go without collecting eggs? For example, if I go on vacation for a week, will the eggs still be okay edible after that period of time?
    thanks

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Can you have somebody, like a neighbor, come over and collect them for you? The reason is, if you leave eggs laying around and piling up for a week, it's highly likely that some will be broken, and then a hen will figure out that they're tasty, and you could end up with chickens that become egg eaters.........

As far as eating them, I wouldn't feel comfortable eating eggs that have been out in the coop for a week, but I'm sure others would.

3. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:I agree with the first part plus they'd be dirty and, if it got especially cold, they'd freeze. As far as using them is concerned there shouldn't be a problem. If nothing else you could cook or bake with them. We often go away for a day or two and gather eggs when we return--never had a problem but I'll admit if it is longer we have them collected by whomever is caring for our animals.

4. sparrow75

sparrow75 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Yeah, we have people that can help collect. I guess what i was asking is if there are any guidelines about "how long is too long". We typically collect every day, but just wanted more info in case that ever has to happen, etc.. thanks

5. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I went on a week vacation last year and asked my neighbor to collect the eggs. I think they forgot because when I came back one of my hens went broody and decided she would hatch them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by