Egg Collection Nesting Boxes

I wouldn't buy that as it's too small for your average hen.
Maybe we can resolve the issue without it costing you $200, that's 9-10 bags of feed!
Are your hens sleeping in the nest boxes? Is there enough roost space for your girls? Are the roosts higher than the nest boxes? Are your nest boxes enclosed on top so ploppings don't land in there from the roosts? How many Boxes for how many ladies?

I turned my flat nest boxes to rollaway ones. It hasn't completely stopped dirty feet stuff from getting on eggs. They hated them at first but they're getting better with them since I added some bedding to them.
I did it because of broken eggs daily turns out it was only one older hen, culled her and all's well.

I saved up and bought the medium size bestnestbox. I have 7 hens, 2 Bielfelders go in there at the same time so there is plenty of room. Best money I spent on my ladies so far. Eggs are spotless now. I also experienced good results with cleaner eggs by simply seperating the 'roost area' from the 'common area' where the nestbox is. That way they don't step directly into their fresh poop from the night before. Works for me, best of luck to ya.

Some of my girls sleep in their nesting box (I built boxes at time we built the coop) so I have to check and clean the nesting boxes first thing in the morning (because as we all know, chickens poop 24/7 ) and I collect eggs 2 times a day, and clean their coop every day, usually around 11:00am, when the coop isn't busy. I seldom, if ever get dirty eggs anymore since I started this practice a few years ago. Other than that, if their boxes are clean, and their coop is clean, you'll get clean eggs, if the boxes get dirty...... well the eggs will be the same.

Some of my girls sleep in their nesting box (I built boxes at time we built the coop) so I have to check and clean the nesting boxes first thing in the morning (because as we all know, chickens poop 24/7 ) and I collect eggs 2 times a day, and clean their coop every day, usually around 11:00am, when the coop isn't busy. I seldom, if ever get dirty eggs anymore since I started this practice a few years ago. Other than that, if their boxes are clean, and their coop is clean, you'll get clean eggs, if the boxes get dirty...... well the eggs will be the same.
I bought a "little coop" as we call it last year when we got our chickens,before I had the bigger one built. With only 4 hens that's where they knew to go and it has a little divider. They inevitably wanted the same nest tho. Adding 2 chicks that won't start laying for 4 mos at least I figure I need another nesting box.
I had a 5 gallon bucket so I made a tray of sorts so it won't roll and I put hay/straw in it and put it under the original one. It's not as dark because its outside so Im hoping the small towel pinned in front will help. Ive been getting 3 eggs , out of 4 hens, almost daily even in the rain so Im happy. Are 5 gallon buckets a workable idea?

I wouldn't buy that as it's too small for your average hen.
Maybe we can resolve the issue without it costing you $200, that's 9-10 bags of feed!
Are your hens sleeping in the nest boxes? Is there enough roost space for your girls? Are the roosts higher than the nest boxes? Are your nest boxes enclosed on top so ploppings don't land in there from the roosts? How many Boxes for how many ladies?
We have buff orping, leghorns, rhode island reds, Easter egger, variety of sizes. I am also interested in the egg catching aspect in addition to cleaner eggs.

I have one nesting box, closest to the perch that they occasionally sleep in. There is definitely enough roost space. I have four nesting boxes, 2 lower, 2 upper and the roosts around vertically about in between as far as height. The problem is that it is a small coop and there is really no space for reconfiguring as there is only one wall where I can install nesting boxes. The boxes do have tops so droppings aren’t falling down to the lower boxes. We have 14 girls and 4 boxes.

I think the primary reason the eggs are dirty is that when it rains, the run gets muddy and they track that in on their feet, thus getting on the eggs. When things are dry, the eggs are clean.

We do keep plenty of hay / pine straw in the boxes which does help a bit.

My wife and I are going to dig up the run today to loosen it up and remove a layer of old compacted hay/poop and will replace with fresh hay which should help matters.

Thank you for your response and any recommendations.

Depends on what is causing the dirty eggs. Rollaway nests aren't necessarily the wrong choice, but depending on the issue you may be able to resolve it without having to get new boxes.
I am pretty sure the primary issue is the wet and muddy run. I plan to take measure this weekend to clean that up.

Back
Top Bottom