Egg Collection

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Elmwoodchick, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Elmwoodchick

Elmwoodchick New Egg

Feb 17, 2013
    Elmwood Texas
    I was hoping to get some feedback on how long chicken eggs can go uncollected. I am a new chicken owner and will be going out of town for 8 days. My coop has an automatic water system, feeder and door. It is as safe as one can make a coop/ run. I live out in the country and don't have someone to gather eggs while I'll be gone. Any feedback on this matter would be greatly appreciated. I know this is not an ideal situation but it can't be avoided.
    Thank you

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Depending on your climate, they might actually be quite edible if left that long. There are other problems, though. For one, they are likely to break some, just in getting on and off the nest. Broken eggs taste good so it's possible they will turn into egg eaters, which is a very difficult habit to break once started. If you have time, you could build rollaway nests, which would at least remove the eggs from their reach. This is one design:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/287684/new-rollout-nest-design-picture-heavy-edited-1-21/0_20

If you do come home to lots of unbroken eggs, simply put them into a glass of cool water. Toss those that float and eat the ones that sink.

3. Elmwoodchick

Elmwoodchick New Egg

Feb 17, 2013
    Elmwood Texas
    Thank you. The temperature will probably be too hot to eat the eggs, possible 100 degree temps. Not sure of they will start to get smelly. I was just wanting to know about any other problems leaving the eggs for 8 days could cause. I have 8 Chickens and a 38x16x16 community type coop so hopefully they will have enough room to navigate around the eggs without much breakage.

4. QuietPony

QuietPony Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm in Wisconsin. What I would give for some warmer weather like that. lol

5. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    I would just toss the eggs or if you have a dog then add a few each day to his kibble. You could even use the eggs for shampoo! 3 days is about the limit that you want to go with uncollected eggs.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by