egg color genetics question

dzipperer

Songster
10 Years
Apr 6, 2009
Rome, GA
I want to get a barred easter egger rooster tomorrow. Not sure if he has blue egg gene. But lets pretend he does ok. I'm just curious what the outcomes would be.

If i bred him to a cuckoo maran what color would offspring eggs be?
If I bred him to white egg layer what color would offspring eggs be?
if i bred him to light brown/cream layer what color would offspring eggs be?

Dani, to help others with your question, I'll tell you that his mother does have the blue egg gene. She is a Black Ameraucana hen from Cree Farms lines. His father is my BR, Dutch. Ok, genetics folks, time to shine here!

I have a black EE hen, father is my BR, Zane, and her mom is my Blue Ameraucana, Charlotte. Her name is Panda and she lays green eggs, some with tan speckles. I was told that if Panda was then bred with a brown egg breed rooster, some of her daughters would lay green and maybe some would lay brown eggs. Hope this helps a bit.

thanks I just love your rooster so much he is beautiful. I'm very curious about genetics so i figured i would ask

I am no expert but what I have read is if they have a rosed comb and carry the blue gene they will pass blue or green eggs on.Do not hold me too it though.

OK, so the EE roo has a mother who is a true Ameraucana, and a BR for a father.

Here are my thoughts on what eggs colors his offspring will produce.

If you breed him to a Cuckoo Marans, half of the female offspring will lay (darkish) brown eggs, and half will lay olive green eggs.

If you breed him to a white egg layer, half of his female offspring will lay a blue egg, and half will lay a brown egg.

If you breed him to a regular light brown egg layer, half of his female offspring will lay a green egg, half will lay a regular brown egg.

I could be wrong.
smile.png

oh neat i can't wait to take genetics in school. im thinking i will next semester.
I have 4 cuckoo marans pullets for him, i want to get some Exchequer Leghorns for him and also some ameraucana hens.
I think he is just the cutest little thing. I think the chicks with the exchequer leghorns would be interesting.

I have alot of pure breeds in separate pens but now I want one pen full of "designer" chickens lol

i have a salmon faverolle/EE mix she lays brown eggs i have another EE that lays brown eggs but i have a cochin/pure ameraucana mix that i have no idea yet but i betting blue or green eggs one but EE's can lay like virtual every color especially if your EE roo is out of two EE's like some of mine

yes, the olive green eggs would be so cool! I'm thinking about getting a maran (or a few) next spring so I could possibly have this combo since my head roo is an EE. I don't know if he'd pass down his genes like that or not but that would be cool...

Peacomb is related (closely linked) to blue-egger, not rosecomb.
If your rooster is not peacombed chances are he does not have the blue egger gene, but still possible though.
His black ameracauna mother should have the peacomb gene too (peacomb or walnutcomb=peacomb+rosecomb).
If not forget what I said (the link is broken).

Blue egger * white egger should not give brown egger unless the blue egger is a green egger of course...
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom