1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg Color Mystery

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Buckguy20, May 11, 2007.

1. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    I have always heard that blue egg layers such as Ameracaunas and EE's don't lose any egg color as the laying season progress like the dark egg layers do.
    However, today in my pen of EE's I found a big egg that was much closer to white than blue. I know all the hens in this pen lay blue eggs because I put all my EE pullets in individual pens until they layed and only put the blue egg layers in a breeding pen. The others I sold or left in my big laying pen. I have been getting only blue eggs out of this pen for six weeks.
    What happened to cause this? Will it happen again?

Monty

2. fosterchick

fosterchick Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a ee bird that lays a blue egg with brown dots on it. Once in a while she will lay a pink egg.

3. jmofaustin

jmofaustin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Austin, TX
    My EE used to lay a mint green egg but recently started laying a blue egg.

4. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    Hey this is great to here! I had heard that if the chicken laid blue, they would only always lay blue; likewise with green. I'm very excited to know they might still pop one out in a different color now and then! I just can't wait til my girls start laying. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by