Egg Color Mystery

BerrytangleFarm

British and Scandinavian Poultry
9 Years
Dec 11, 2010
Kitsap County, WA
My Coop
My Coop
I have an established coop with 6 hens who have been laying for some time, though 2 are younger than the other 4. A month ago I added three hens from another coop who had been each laying an egg a day for many weeks. All shades of brown eggs.

Yesterday there was a full-size WHITE egg in the box. Whiter than the Seramas' eggs (they're in another coop).

Who Layed It?

Australorps, NH Reds, Buff Sussex, Barred Rock, Faverolle, Gold Wyandottes.......

Little white egg is a Serama egg. Brown eggs are the norm. Big white egg is the mystery. This egg came from the big bird coop, so it couldn't be a double yolk Serama egg.

Does it also have a very thin shell? The reason that I ask is because when my chickens lay an egg that has a thin and porous shell, it is usually lacking in color, also.

A chicken whose run down from laying. Really any brown egg chicken can lay a white egg. If she is near the end of a laying cycle or isn't getting enough raw materials for the brown pigment the eggs can be white. Some times stress or disease can also cause a white egg.

Hmmmm.....none of the hens are over 2 years old. Some of them have a bald spot on the back, but I figured that was the over-zealous rooster since they seem to fight him off. Haven't found another white egg yet.

I agree that sometimes a brown layer will run short on pigment. Especially if the white egg was large. I suspect it was a temporary glitch for her pigment process---but over time you may get a lighter and lighter tan from one of your hens... You may even be able to determine which one.

I have 2 BPR and one lays a lighter egg than the other..... And sometimes it is very light -- then will vary back to a slightly darker color. IT is a mystery.

Back
Top Bottom