Egg color question....

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RoxyOtis, Aug 29, 2011.

1. RoxyOtis

RoxyOtis Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Modesto, CA
    I'm not sure if this is in the right section or not so if not I'm sorry.I am wondering if it is possible to tell if a hen will lay a green egg or not,before they lay.If a chick comes out of a green egg and turns out to be a hen will it lay green eggs or is it not for sure?
    I have 2 lavender Aruacana's that lay a green egg and the rooster is a lemon blue and lavender Araucana mix, So if a baby is made with those 2 and comes out of a green egg will it lay a green egg?Thanks for any help in advance.
    ~Kayla

2. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    You do not know for sure. The chances are better that it will than it will not lay a green egg.

Tim

3. RoxyOtis

Aug 28, 2008
    Modesto, CA
    I figured as much,Thanks for the input....Now starts the waiting game! [​IMG]

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Really depends on the parents. Either you have about a 25% or a 50% chance of a green egg layer. But you may have a good chance of a blue egg layer. [​IMG]

5. RoxyOtis

Aug 28, 2008
    Modesto, CA
    Well a blue egg would be nice too [​IMG] I guess we will just have to wait and see what I get.Thanks for the reply!!

6. Cpprpnny19

Cpprpnny19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Middleboro
    What is an "Olive Egger?"

7. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Quote:a chicken that lays olive colored eggs

scrole through this post.. and you'll see the difference in egg shell color.. for the most part, you need to mate a dark brown egg layer to a blue egg layer to get olive colored eggs.. there are exceptions, but for the most part that's the way it needs done.

and because they are a hybrid, so to say, the do not breed on true.

8. chickensbythesea

chickensbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Quote:Green egg layer gens and brown egg layer genes. The colors mix to an olive tone, if you search some people have beautiful olive eggs they show off.

9. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:you have about 90% that all of you chicks will lay green/colored eggs if they have a pea comb...[​IMG]

How? well the P(pea comb) gene and the O(blue egg color) geen are tightly link by like 5 centiMorgan

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Green egg layer gens and brown egg layer genes. The colors mix to an olive tone, if you search some people have beautiful olive eggs they show off.

Blue or green and DARK brown. [​IMG] Simple brown just makes normal green laying Easter Eggers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by