Egg color question....

RoxyOtis

Songster
12 Years
Aug 28, 2008
Modesto, CA
I'm not sure if this is in the right section or not so if not I'm sorry.I am wondering if it is possible to tell if a hen will lay a green egg or not,before they lay.If a chick comes out of a green egg and turns out to be a hen will it lay green eggs or is it not for sure?
I have 2 lavender Aruacana's that lay a green egg and the rooster is a lemon blue and lavender Araucana mix, So if a baby is made with those 2 and comes out of a green egg will it lay a green egg?Thanks for any help in advance.
~Kayla

I figured as much,Thanks for the input....Now starts the waiting game!
lol.png

Really depends on the parents. Either you have about a 25% or a 50% chance of a green egg layer. But you may have a good chance of a blue egg layer.
smile.png

Quote:
a chicken that lays olive colored eggs

scrole through this post.. and you'll see the difference in egg shell color.. for the most part, you need to mate a dark brown egg layer to a blue egg layer to get olive colored eggs.. there are exceptions, but for the most part that's the way it needs done.

and because they are a hybrid, so to say, the do not breed on true.

Quote:
Green egg layer gens and brown egg layer genes. The colors mix to an olive tone, if you search some people have beautiful olive eggs they show off.

Quote:
you have about 90% that all of you chicks will lay green/colored eggs if they have a pea comb...
tongue.png

How? well the P(pea comb) gene and the O(blue egg color) geen are tightly link by like 5 centiMorgan

Quote:
Green egg layer gens and brown egg layer genes. The colors mix to an olive tone, if you search some people have beautiful olive eggs they show off.

Blue or green and DARK brown.
wink.png
Simple brown just makes normal green laying Easter Eggers.

Back
Top Bottom