Egg color.... where did I go wrong?

ChickenJesus

In the Brooder
Sep 30, 2015
Conowingo MD
I mated an Ameraucana roo to RIR, black star, and Barred Rock hens. Everything I've seen from the egg color charts online I would have predicted the eggs from the prodgeny would have been green. But they were all brown. Is the color of the egg more dependant on the hen than the roo? What am I missing?

True Ameraucana or Easter Egger?

Easter Eggers (commonly missold as pure Ameraucanas) are mutts and only about 80% of them will carry the blue egg gene. Your rooster may well lack any blue egg genetics. This is why it's recommended that in making colored Eggers you use either a true Ameraucana cockerel or you use only blue- or green-laying Easter Egger hens who's offspring will always be at least 50% green egg layers. Using an Easter Egger rooster is a gamble since he may have no colored egg genetics.

He is either an EE, or another rooster got in your pen. Can you post a picture of him? What variety of Ameraucana is he supposed to be?

What variety? Not everyone realizes that hatchery sourced Ameraucana are not Ameraucana, but Easter Eggers. Then they breed those birds and claim that they are 'pure' Ameraucana, when they've had Easter Eggers the whole time.

True Ameraucana or Easter Egger?

Easter Eggers (commonly missold as pure Ameraucanas) are mutts and only about 80% of them will carry the blue egg gene. Your rooster may well lack any blue egg genetics. This is why it's recommended that in making colored Eggers you use either a true Ameraucana cockerel or you use only blue- or green-laying Easter Egger hens who's offspring will always be at least 50% green egg layers. Using an Easter Egger rooster is a gamble since he may have no colored egg genetics.
X2 again!!

What People are saying is that your Rooster might not be pure.?
The Chicks from your mating would have too grow up to be hens and those birds would then lay the blue eggs if they carry the blue egg gene.
Does this make sense?
Just mating an Ameruacana Rooster to a Barred Rock hen wont change her egg colour. They lay brown eggs.

Here's a picture of the room. I'm not defending the bird or the breeder. It was a local breeder do other people Trust. Very well may not have been what he said it was, but I can only go off what I was told.

Back
Top Bottom