Egg Color...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by poultrypatch, Aug 22, 2010.

1. poultrypatch

poultrypatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Rochester
    Hi All,
    Anybody know which breed lays 'blue' eggs ? Here's what U have to choose from: Runners, Welch Harlequin, Appleyards, or Khaki Campbells. Found one in their run 2 xs now.
    Been looking in my books but can't find anything. Appreciate U R help, thanks .
    Liz
    MA

2. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    I have runners and some lay blue and some white.

3. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    I think that the Runners have the highest percentage chance (around 70%) for blue eggs of those breeds but I could be wrong.

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

As far as my search led me,
    Runners- white
    Welsh Harlequins- white or greenish
    Appleyard- white
    Khaki Campbell- white

so.... since tia has blue runner eggs, ......

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Cayuga eggs will start out black, and eventually fade into a grey, green, or blue shade. [​IMG]

6. loubapache

loubapache Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Western Michigan
    Today both our two ducks (a Pekin and a Cayuga) laid their eggs. It was the first egg by the Cayuga and only the second by the Pekin. The Pekin laid her first one yesterday and it was a double yoker. Her first egg was bigger than her second.

The Cayuga's first is much smaller than that by the Pekin. The color is black/brown/blue.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  7. Baybrio

Baybrio Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Poplar Grove, IL
    I hope it is OK to post this, I copied it from the Metzer site. The sixth column gives the percentage of blue eggs for each breed. Interesting that the runners differ in percentage of blue eggs laid.

[​IMG]

This is the link: http://www.metzerfarms.com/DuckBreedComparison.cfm?CustID=136296

I
    imagine this if for their particular duck strains but it may give you an idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by