egg color

Cebarmlds

Free Ranging
13 Years
Oct 8, 2010
mn
My chicken ladies lay brown eggs and I've noticed light colored speckles on some, if I wash the eggs the speckles get darker sometimes they don't look speckled at all until they get wet! the speckles look brown or reddish brown. Is this normal??
I now know you shouldn't wash them except if the have poop on the shell~

Last edited:
What breeds do you have? Speckled eggs are rather pretty.
How old are they? That is, how long have they been laying? (Some ladies give speckled eggs depending on how long they have been laying or what breed they are.)

Sometimes when I have to lightly rinse my eggs they do change color, but when they dry they go back to their original color.
I have found if I collect eggs regularly, they don't get very 'dirty' and can go right into the cartons, (whether for the refrig or for the 'bator).

If I get an egg, that for some reason is very dirty, I wash it and use it right away or I crack it and give it to one of my dogs or cats. They LOVE 'em just like I do!!
smile.png

Thank You both for the reply.
I don't really know what kind they are, a mix is my best guess. They are 1 1/2 yr. old I got them from my uncle in May he hatched them April '09 . They have been laying since I got them. Well except the one moulting quit but she's getting over it I think. Now another is a little over weight and she has quit laying from what I can tell...
This is my first time with chickens, I wanted them for years and finally did it even though my husband kept saying no, now he adores them
smile.png
)
The first couple months I always washed the eggs and fridged them, they were ok but some runny whites- ate them anyway.
droolin.gif

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
yummmm crunchy eggs
lol.png

erlibrd,
as Luckytaz said, no need to worry.........I sometimes get a pink egg (so pretty), when I washed them they would turn to light brown and I thought 'well shoot, I washed away the pretty pink', but then when they dried they'd be pink again. : )

You might ask your uncle what kind of chickens he has, he might be able to help you to know what kind you have. Now that you and your DH have entered the chicken world, beware it's addictive. I started with 12 and have over 50 now with 14 in the 'bator due to hatch the 21st of this month. I sell my extra eggs or give them to the local food pantry.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom