egg color

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bobzant, Aug 26, 2011.

1. bobzant

bobzant Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Perry, IL
    does the color of the egg totally depend on the hen or does the rooster pass on traits too?

2. banks

banks Chillin' With My Peeps

Just the hen determines shell color.

3. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    depends on hen only. All hens lay eggs regardless whether there is a roo around or not. I believe whatever color egg the hen came out of is the color it will lay, not 100% sure but I think that's right.

4. bobzant

bobzant Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Perry, IL
    thank you. my bantam cochin's eggs are a creamy off white, is that the right color for a cochin??

5. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Quote:Actually, it can differ, but the mother's egg shell color will be an influence. As an example, an olive-egger hen with an EE mother and a Marans father can lay an olive colored egg, even though she hatched from a blue-green egg. The blue-green and the dark brown combine to make olive.

6. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    If you are talking about the roo that is in with your hens, then no he is not a factor in the color egg they lay. He will pass on egg color traits to his offspring. A Marans roo out of a very dark egg will pass that on to his kids, or an Ameraucana roo out of a blue egg will pass that on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by