Egg consistency question.

Nicole01

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
MN
Is it normal for inside of fresh eggs to be stiff?

Okay, I've been getting eggs for 11 days now!
ya.gif
Yay me! I'm keeping track of their laying habits and I've gotten a total of 14 eggs as of today. The egg consistency seems stiff compared to the regular store eggs. The yolks are a beautiful deep orange color and are much harder to break and mix compared to store eggs. This is normal right? I can stab the yolk several times and it doesn't leak into the white.

I just want to make sure I'm feeding my girls right and not too many treats. I give them every morning a few handfuls of homemade scratch. I free range 2-6 hours in a day. I do not feed a high quality chicken feed(sprout). My eggs taste fabulous, but I'm having a difficult time getting use to the stiffness.

It's so weird eating food your pets produce.:p

Whew! I thought I was doing something wrong. They are so much better then store bought! My last store bought egg yolks were wrinkled.
sickbyc.gif
Talk about unfresh!

FRESH!!!
celebrate.gif

Got one today, right after, in fact watched her drop it out...picked it up a little wet...
How fresh do you like your eggs!!

Yeah!
thumbsup.gif

cool.png
I was talking at work about how warm the eggs were when fresh and I got the ewy
sickbyc.gif
face from those around me, did they think they dropped the egg out cold?
gig.gif
Fresh eggs rock!

That is exactly what is great about a fresh egg; nice orange colored yolk, thick (not watery) whites, and hard shell. The problem you will have is that if you give your fresh eggs to someone who is unaware they will toss them because they will think that they are old because they have never experienced anything but store bought, old, eggs. I make it a habit to tell the folks I give eggs to what to expect.

Isn't life grand! Blue, green, brown and pink. All these beauties. I thought I had hit the jackpot when my pekins began laying. My ducks eggs are more "stiff" and harder to crack and the yolks are even more firm. Love all of my ladies eggs.

Last edited:
The only bad thing I find about this is that when I hardboil them, the whites are kinda rubbery.
hmm.png

Still taste great, just takes some getting used to.

My girls just about threw up when they took an egg out of the nest!
lau.gif
. They expected it to be cold and not hot.

I haven't hard boiled any eggs yet. I'm sure it won't be long.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom