1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg Costs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by austrolover1, Jan 8, 2016.

1. austrolover1

austrolover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2015
    I am just wondering how much you people sell their cage-free chicken eggs for. I currently sell a dozen for three dollars. Some people say that is not enough and some say it is too much. I am semi-new to chickens. Advice?

2. BNBRanch

BNBRanch Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2015
    Southern, California
    I sell mine for $4 a dozen, in which my buyer turns them into $5 a dozen.

3. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    I sell mine for $4/doz can't keep up with demands.

4. AuntNomi

AuntNomi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2015
    Callahan, Florida!

I would not listen to anyone stating that is too much. You know what you have invested into your chickens. And where I live $3 will not buy you a dozen at Walmart. If anything I'd ask a little more if you are comfortable with doing so, but if $3 is enough for you then that is good. But I would not go less.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    $3.50 here, some folks say that's too much, so I don't sell to them<shrugs>
    I have enough buyers anyway.

It really depends on a lot of things.
    What is the market in your area?
    Wo wants to buy what and at what price?

What do 'cage free' eggs sell for in the local groceries?
    The whole labeling (cage free, pastured, blahblahblah) thing is very subjective.

How much do you really need to sell them for?
    I keep track of my feed and bedding costs, egg sales cover those costs and all the eggs I can eat.
    But I have a small flock of 15 and only 3-6 customers, 4 are regulars and mostly use everything up.

6. Rewster

Rewster Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2015
    Southeast Ohio
    In my area in SE Ohio, $2.50 a dozen is the going rate for local growers. Some are able to get $3.00 a dozen even though the local "Superstore" gets $5.00. I would love to get $4.00 a dozen with the price of feed and care.

7. jamesglasman72

jamesglasman72 Out Of The Brooder

I sell mine at $3 a dozen

8. austrolover1

austrolover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2015
    Ok thanks guys for the tips. Cage-free eggs in the store range from $4.00-5.00. ORGANIC eggs cost from $5.00-6.00!!!! I honestly think I am going to raise my prices to $4 since I need that much to pay for the feed. Thanks again for the suggestions![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by