Egg Costs

austrolover1

Songster
Dec 14, 2015
I am just wondering how much you people sell their cage-free chicken eggs for. I currently sell a dozen for three dollars. Some people say that is not enough and some say it is too much. I am semi-new to chickens. Advice?

I am just wondering how much you people sell their cage-free chicken eggs for. I currently sell a dozen for three dollars. Some people say that is not enough and some say it is too much. I am semi-new to chickens. Advice?

I would not listen to anyone stating that is too much. You know what you have invested into your chickens. And where I live $3 will not buy you a dozen at Walmart. If anything I'd ask a little more if you are comfortable with doing so, but if $3 is enough for you then that is good. But I would not go less.

$3.50 here, some folks say that's too much, so I don't sell to them<shrugs>
I have enough buyers anyway.

It really depends on a lot of things.
What is the market in your area?
Wo wants to buy what and at what price?

What do 'cage free' eggs sell for in the local groceries?
The whole labeling (cage free, pastured, blahblahblah) thing is very subjective.

How much do you really need to sell them for?
I keep track of my feed and bedding costs, egg sales cover those costs and all the eggs I can eat.
But I have a small flock of 15 and only 3-6 customers, 4 are regulars and mostly use everything up.

In my area in SE Ohio, $2.50 a dozen is the going rate for local growers. Some are able to get $3.00 a dozen even though the local "Superstore" gets $5.00. I would love to get $4.00 a dozen with the price of feed and care.

Ok thanks guys for the tips. Cage-free eggs in the store range from $4.00-5.00. ORGANIC eggs cost from $5.00-6.00!!!! I honestly think I am going to raise my prices to $4 since I need that much to pay for the feed. Thanks again for the suggestions!
1f604.png

Back
Top Bottom