Egg Count Dwindling

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mommacb, Oct 6, 2012.

1. mommacb

mommacb Out Of The Brooder

we were getting 17 eggs a day, now only 12 and we're only a few months into egg laying. what could be the cause of the lack of egg production? they get plenty of protein, but we are being stalked by hawks, can stress stop the eggs?

2. mommacb

two of those 12 are so thin we have to toss them.

3. Justicedog

Justicedog Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2012
    Could it be reduced light? I'm new to chickens, but a friend who isn't mentioned getting a lot fewer eggs lately and is planning on setting up a light on a timer.

4. mommacb

sorry, one other note, i have watched a RIR drop yokes with no eggs from her spot on the roost, what's up with that??

5. mommacb

really, reduced light effects eggs?

6. Justicedog

Justicedog Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2012
    Do they have any oyster shell supplements? I hear that's good for producing shells.

7. mommacb

i heard of that, i can try adding that. thanks.

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The chicken is photo-reactive. The retina detects the amount of light, the hours of light and the angle of the sun in the sky. These trigger the pituitary gland in the chicken's brain. A first year pullet will often lay reasonably well through its first fall/winter. An older hen will moult and pretty much take a few months off to re-charge and rest. It is entirely natural.

Yes, light is very influential on egg production. Nights are now longer than the days, so egg production often declines. This is not the only reason. Stress, health, diet, parasites (internal and external) all effect egg production as well.

9. Angie8eggs

Angie8eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2012
    I had two Comets that were on the thin side, they had no signs of sickness or anything like that, then all of a sudden they filled right out. I would make them some scrambled eggs, give them some shredded cheese, and oyster shells. Try that with your chickens, maybe that will help![​IMG]

10. jed2012

jed2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2012
    West Valley City, Utah
    a few days ago i got 3 eggs out of the 13 laying hens. i gave them cayenne pepper. i got 11 eggs today. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by