egg cracked, oozing

buckabucka

Crowing
14 Years
Jan 13, 2010
Fairfield, Maine
My Coop
My Coop
This is only my second time hatching, and most of the eggs were hatching well. It was getting crowded in the incubator, with the chicks tossing around the remaining eggs, so I pulled out those that had hatched. The 5 eggs that were left had not pipped, except one had a crack, - like a large pip, and a yellowy-white gum-like substance stuck to it. It does not smell, but do I need to get it out of there? What would cause this? Two more eggs have hatched, and I hate to keep opening the incubator if there is a chance that the last 2 eggs may still be good.

Also, how long should I leave the last 2 eggs in there? This is the end of day 22.
Thanks in advance.

that "stuff" might be from a chick that hatched rubbing against it. If it is in fact a cracked egg, it probably is no good.. but since you are this close to hatching finish, just leave it..

Thanks! I am really glad I did not throw the egg away, even though it certainly did not look very good. I'm not sure it will make it, but I've seen a little beak poking out! It seems like it has been like that a long time. I'm hoping to find something has hatched in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom