Egg dessert!

here's our favorite, I call it Graham Cracker Cake, it comes out in cake form, but taste a like a bread pudding

45 graham cracker squares
4 eggs
3 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
1 tsp ground cinnamon

grease and 8x8x2 pan. Layer cracker sheets in the pan. If you use an 8x8 it takes 4 1/2 sheets per pan. You want to make 5 layers.

In a bowl beat together eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and chinnamon until blended. Pour over the crackers. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. ( I often refrigerate over night)

Preheat oven to 350 F. Uncover pan and bake 40- 45 minutes or until the center is puffed and not runny. Cool at least 5 minutes.

You can serve this hot or cold. Really good with whipped cream on top!

The lemon meringue pie in Natalie Dupree's cookbook or any cookbook is a wonderful way to show off your eggs, with all that fluffy sea of meringue on top and the naturally deep yellow your home eggs will give the filling. With my own eggs, I think because they're never as old as the old groc. store eggs I used to use, the meringue won't ever get to the really stiff stage, but I found that the pie works fine with a soft meringue, maybe better. Just remember, not one iota of grease on your meringue beating bowl(and don't use plastic). I add 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar per 4 eggs. I make 4 pies at a time and add another egg or two since I'm not sure of sizes.

Back
Top Bottom