egg development

ajneal30

Songster
7 Years
May 22, 2012
I candled my eggs today and they seem to be very behind in developent. They should be on day 16 but appear to be more in line with a day 11 or 12 egg. I can see movement in some of them so I know they are alive, but should I just keep an eye on them and put them on lockdown according to date or development? Do I need to be running my incubator warmer? Last year I trusted the wrong thermometer (came with the incubator but sits on top of the eggs) and had 2 of 22 eggs hatch. They hatched several days late. This year I went with the other thermometer (built into the incubator) which puts the temp almost 10 degrees warmer. But these eggs still seem to be very slow developing.

I've had a disastrous hatch due to a faulty thermometer myself! Mine read too low and cooked the eggs, though by some miracle we managed to hatch 7 chicks. It's better to buy a good thermometer and know what's really going in there. If your chicks are developing and still alive leave them and don't fiddle with the temperature, unless you can get an accurate thermometer now and adjust it.

Back
Top Bottom