Egg doesnt seem to unzip?Chicken stuck?

jetfire245

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 26, 2014
I have this little guy that has been in this position for some 8-10 hours and i can't tell whats wrong..
sad.png
could anyone help me?I just need to know if I need to do anything.

EDIT:Forgot to say last night one of the chicks inside the incubator moved him and i saw a bit of blood,but he seems fine on that now

Last edited:

Right,I've seen this thread,I just want to know I mean...Looking at the chickens point of view I couldn't get out of this.And after 12 hours now in the same position...

My chick is doing the same thing. I went into the coop and found my broody pecking at the egg cleaning up the blood. She seemed pretty nasty about it which isn't like her at all. My hatch date isn't for another 3 days. I think she broke the egg and the chick might not be ready yet. I have removed the egg and put it in a brooder with the red heat lamp. There is a week old chick in there too. I hope with her peeping it will encourage the little eggling.

How long to wait? I keep checking and I do see it move. Should the egg be in a certain position? Broken side down? Head tuck under the breast? One leg is sticking out but I think Mom did that. I am worried the chick will dry out in there and be stuck. The good size hole is on the side.

This is my third hatch and I have never had to take over broody duty before. Usually I come home from work to several dry happy chicks all alive and peeping.

Any help out there?
Edited to mention there is a lot of blood and not as nice looking as the pic from Jetfire.

Last edited:
Right,I've seen this thread,I just want to know I mean...Looking at the chickens point of view I couldn't get out of this.And after 12 hours now in the same position...
Look through the article I linked for you above.

My chick is doing the same thing. I went into the coop and found my broody pecking at the egg cleaning up the blood. She seemed pretty nasty about it which isn't like her at all. My hatch date isn't for another 3 days. I think she broke the egg and the chick might not be ready yet. I have removed the egg and put it in a brooder with the red heat lamp. There is a week old chick in there too. I hope with her peeping it will encourage the little eggling.

How long to wait? I keep checking and I do see it move. Should the egg be in a certain position? Broken side down? Head tuck under the breast? One leg is sticking out but I think Mom did that. I am worried the chick will dry out in there and be stuck. The good size hole is on the side.

This is my third hatch and I have never had to take over broody duty before. Usually I come home from work to several dry happy chicks all alive and peeping.

Any help out there?
Edited to mention there is a lot of blood and not as nice looking as the pic from Jetfire.
If the chick isn't due to hatch for another 3 days it's chances of survival is not good. But it's still alive, so wrap it in a damp cloth to stop it drying out and keep it warm, ± 95* will do, and keep your fingers crossed. It may just surprise you.

Yeah,I'm real sorry that didn't help at all,this is day 19 and hes just sitting there.for a precautionary measure I put the egg on a damp cloth in the bator and well,he still is occasionally chirping and yeah...mostly sitting there.

The article will tell you how to assist, if the chick doesn't make any progress by itself. And also how to check if the chick is ready to hatch. Give it a bit more time though, to be on the safe side.

I'm sorry buddy...I know how you feel..He's in a better place..
smile.png

On a brighter note my guy made it,you were right sumi just give it some time!Found him hatched along with 2 other friends!Thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom