Egg Doors - Access via Lift up roof or Swing Out Door?

CurlyLindsay

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 28, 2009
MO
Why do nesting boxes that protrude from the side of the coop seem to be so popular in modern coop designs? Is there an advantage other than just preserving floor space in a compact coop?

I got lucky and my house came with an old coop that was actually built pre-WWII but is sturdy and spacious. My only complaint is that there's no easy way to get eggs without stooping to climb in and swatting chickens away from the door the whole time. ;-) So my spring project is adding nesting boxes that are accessible from outside.

I have a suitably large and open wall to work with, but should I cut a hole and build the boxes out? ( like this: http://cdn.backyardchickens.com/c/c9/c9821a77_DSC03336.jpeg ) Or cut a hole and build the boxes inside, placing a door over the exterior hole? (like this http://cdn.backyardchickens.com/4/48/350x700px-LL-4804c535_2011-07-17_18-03-29_328.jpeg )

Seems like the interior build would be much easier, but I'm wondering why everyone seems to be building out with a lifting roof?

Why do nesting boxes that protrude from the side of the coop seem to be so popular in modern coop designs? Is there an advantage other than just preserving floor space in a compact coop?

I got lucky and my house came with an old coop that was actually built pre-WWII but is sturdy and spacious. My only complaint is that there's no easy way to get eggs without stooping to climb in and swatting chickens away from the door the whole time. ;-) So my spring project is adding nesting boxes that are accessible from outside.

I have a suitably large and open wall to work with, but should I cut a hole and build the boxes out? ( like this: http://cdn.backyardchickens.com/c/c9/c9821a77_DSC03336.jpeg ) Or cut a hole and build the boxes inside, placing a door over the exterior hole? (like this http://cdn.backyardchickens.com/4/48/350x700px-LL-4804c535_2011-07-17_18-03-29_328.jpeg )

Seems like the interior build would be much easier, but I'm wondering why everyone seems to be building out with a lifting roof?
I think you answered your own question...there is no easy way to collect the eggs without stooping down and swatting away the chickens from in front of the door the whole time. I like the lift up and collect nest boxes on the side of my coop. I was looking at it the other day and I did realize that even though the top was secure with a locking padlocked latch (to keep raccoons from shopping in my nest boxes..UNDERNEATH the boxes was NOT secured...a predator could just shove up from underneath and push the flimsy floor in..or knock the nest boxes off altogether. am fixing that tonight with hubby.

Try to not overthink it. People can come up with reasons for building them inside. People can come up with reasons to build them outside. If you have room inside, which you do because yours are inside now, go ahead and build it inside. It will work.

One reason for outside, in our situation, is that you don't want to be inside the house at the same time as the rooster unless he's asleep or you're looking to have your legs sliced up. Even without the rooster IMO it's a whole lot more convenient.

We built out but I don't like the lifting roof - I kept imagining it slamming on my fingers or head like a toy box - so we did a stationary roof and the front panel comes down so I can access the eggs. It works great for us.

Since you have plenty of room, seems to me like the easiest way would be an interior box. You wouldn't need as much lumber and it wouldn't be as involved to do it that way. The only thing you have to make sure of is that no rainwater can run down and get inside through the door. If it's already under an overhang, you won't have that concern. Good luck!

Ours is a lifting roof one simply because I cut it off an existing eBay coop I recycled.

But....I put a stay on the side so I can click it open and I find it really easy to lift a broodie hen out from above. The kids also like to take the opportunity to pat them and I'm not sure if that would be as easy with a side opening door.

Think the other reason is simply taste. I just like the look :)

1. Exterior boxes are big space savers inside!
2. NO area on top of the nest box to clean and NO nest box edges for the birds to roost.
3. No PECKING of your hands when collecting eggs (much easier to reach from behind a brooding bird than stealing its egg face to face!)
4. Lift lid keeps bed material inside during windy conditions (my lid is designed to stay up as I collect eggs)

My boxes are 2x2 construction (ripped 2x4's in half) with rigid insulation on all sides and the roof. I built mine and wheeled them over in a small wagon and then attached them to the coop frame.

Back
Top Bottom