Egg Duct sore and bloody

Freespirit61

Hatching
Apr 17, 2024
I have a hen with blood around her egg duct and what looks like a sore. I put bluekote on it and isolated her so she can not be pecked to death by her mates. I sent pictures to my friend who has had chickens a lot longer than me she told me to off her that she could be contagious. I do not really want to do that not knowing why she has a sore there. I am posting pictures any imput would be greatly appreciated. Not sure if you can see it

Attachments​

• 20240417_113232.jpg
    20240417_113232.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240417_113300.jpg
    20240417_113300.jpg
    482.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240417_113146 (2).jpg

It looks like she could have had a prolapsed vent, but she has been vent pecked by the other chickens. I can’t see any details in the picture because it is out of focus and lighting is not good. How is she? Is she able to stand up and walk? If she is well enough, I would soak her vent area once a day in warm Epsom salts water. You also could use a little Hibiclens, Betadine, or a bit of salt (2 tsp per gallon) in the water instead. Keep her separated in a dog crate or pen with bedding, food and water. A towel can be used under her to keep tract of droppings. Offer some water with sugar or electrolytes. I would stop the BluKote, and instead keep her vent area moist with something like Neosporin or honey. If you can take a better picture later that would be good.

It looks like she could have had a prolapsed vent, but she has been vent pecked by the other chickens. I can’t see any details in the picture because it is out of focus and lighting is not good. How is she? Is she able to stand up and walk? If she is well enough, I would soak her vent area once a day in warm Epsom salts water. You also could use a little Hibiclens, Betadine, or a bit of salt (2 tsp per gallon) in the water instead. Keep her separated in a dog crate or pen with bedding, food and water. A towel can be used under her to keep tract of droppings. Offer some water with sugar or electrolytes. I would stop the BluKote, and instead keep her vent area moist with something like Neosporin or honey. If you can take a better picture later that would be good.
I soaked her for 15 mins in epsom salt and I got some better pictures I hope. She is standing walking fiesty when I try to pick her up and she has been eating and drinking. Right now I got her by the stove to dry her feathers before I return her to the nursery in the coop.

Attachments

• Chicken Butt 1.jpg
    Chicken Butt 1.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Chicken butt 2.jpg
    Chicken butt 2.jpg
    464.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Chicken Butt 3.jpg
    Chicken Butt 3.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Chicken butt 4.jpg
    Chicken butt 4.jpg