Egg Eaters

bpoore04

Songster
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
So I made a thread about messy eggs and some of the feedback suggested that I might have some egg eaters. Welp I do. I went to the coop today and when I went to collect the eggs I noticed that one had a hole in it about the size of a dime and the contents had leaked out a little (giving me more messy eggs🙄). I didn’t really think much of it until I reached for another egg in a different nest and it had a hole in it and it was huge! (See pictures). What do I do to stop them from eating the eggs?? And how do I tell who was doing it?? Help! Thanks!
F6218F68-5C4F-454F-A1CC-AE70B8187F47.jpeg
CA34706C-F4B8-4490-98ED-E18D9F75956B.jpeg

I had the same problem a while back. I think mine started with a hen laying soft shelled eggs getting crushed and eaten. Then I found hard shelled eggs obviously eaten like you are finding in your coop.
Soooo...put a Wyze cam in the coop pointed at the nest box and caught my white easter egger pretty much camping out and eating the eggs.
She went to quarantine camp. Then....saw another hen, one of my red sex links...saw her live on camera....went out and snatched her off the roost, egg all over her beak.
She joined her friend in quarantine camp.
They both graduated to Camp Kenmore. Interesting how I no longer have any eggs being eaten now.
Check for egg yolk on thier beaks, put a camera out there to determine the culprit, and get rid of them before the others catch on. Or....get roll out nest boxes. I thought at first they werent getting enough calcium do I got some oyster shell since I found some eggs with soft shells but that didnt stop it. The only thing that did was culling.

I had the same problem a while back. I think mine started with a hen laying soft shelled eggs getting crushed and eaten. Then I found hard shelled eggs obviously eaten like you are finding in your coop.
Soooo...put a Wyze cam in the coop pointed at the nest box and caught my white easter egger pretty much camping out and eating the eggs.
She went to quarantine camp. Then....saw another hen, one of my red sex links...saw her live on camera....went out and snatched her off the roost, egg all over her beak.
She joined her friend in quarantine camp.
They both graduated to Camp Kenmore. Interesting how I no longer have any eggs being eaten now.
Check for egg yolk on thier beaks, put a camera out there to determine the culprit, and get rid of them before the others catch on. Or....get roll out nest boxes. I thought at first they werent getting enough calcium do I got some oyster shell since I found some eggs with soft shells but that didnt stop it. The only thing that did was culling.
I’m not looking to cull any of my chickens because I have became too attached lol. What is a roll out nesting box? And what type of camera would I need?

I used fake eggs every day to get them confused. Trying to hatched out a few chicks from my selected best breed. That the only hen that goes broody really often than any other hens I have around.

Back
Top Bottom