egg eating chicken

annabelle08

Songster
5 Years
Mar 6, 2016
I have noticed over the last couple of weeks, that I haven't been getting as many eggs as usual. That is, I had been getting 6 eggs each day. I didn't think much about it, but then I noticed that I was finding an egg in the second yard on the ground. Then I found a broken egg in the nest. Thinking it was just a chick had stepped on it, I cleaned it out. Now my daughter was weed eating and noticed an egg on the ground it the back yard so went to get it, and before she could get to it, one of the chickens ran over, stepped on it and the others all ran over and they ate it. What to do now???? Any suggestions?

Interesting, never heard of chickens breaking eggs by stepping on them. You can not do much about the other hens eating the already broken egg, I have it happen on occasion. I think the hens just go after the bright color of the yolk. If you have problems with chickens pecking the shell to get at the yolk, I put golf balls or fake eggs in their nest boxes to frustrate them. My question is do you have easy excessible nest boxs? That way the eggs are layed in a more protected area.

Hope that helps

Back
Top Bottom