Obviously doing something wrong

Mar 10, 2024
One of my chickens just cropped out an egg that had a rubber-like shell… so I’m assuming that I’m not giving them enough calcium. I’ve noticed that their eggs up to this point have had thin shells. I thought it was just a difference between store bought and farm fresh. But at this point I’m assuming that they’ve been low on calcium and are now reaching a critically low point. How can I safely add calcium to their diet?

First thing is what do you feed them, a commercial feed? Do you know the feed profile?
As a very rough average an egg shell needs around 3 to 4 grams of calcium.
The hen requires calcium and on those occasions she can get more than she needs she can store the excess in some of her bones. Agian very roughly include a gram of calcium for her.
Roughly the hens total calcium intake daily should be between 4 to 5 grams per day while she's laying.

I did switch to a less expensive feed from rural king. I give them plenty, but most of there feeding is done free range. There is always a lot of crumble left on the ground after I feed them.

I did switch to a less expensive feed from rural king. I give them plenty, but most of there feeding is done free range. There is always a lot of crumble left on the ground after I feed them.
try offering them some dairy produce - proper stuff from cows, not plant substitutes - ideally full fat (that's only 4%, semi is 2%) if milk, or plain natural yogurt (ideally live), or cheese of any sort, for a quick easy calcium boost.

We still need specifics - a photo of the feed bag tag or a link to the product would help. Is this a layer feed, for starters?

And is there a source of calcium and if so, what?
No. I’ve just been giving them the feed. I just bought a waterer so I can start giving them rooster booster in it.

Back
Top Bottom