Egg eating chicken....

dwegg

Songster
11 Years
Nov 10, 2009
Grant Park, Atlanta, GA
So I have this very large cochin hen that lays under the nest boxes on the ground and she has started eating her own egg every time she lays...I have caught her in the act twice so I know it's her.

Since she doesn't lay in the nest boxes she is not eating other eggs BUT I am worried that it is teaching the other chickens to eat eggs as they all rush in to try and get some egg....and it is every time she lays so the other chcikens are starting to expect it.

what do I do?

That's a toughie :/ I think, if she were mine, I would separate her from the rest of the flock. I've never had an egg eating problem, so I don't have alot of advice to give. Could you put a ceramic egg in her nest? Maybe a few good pecks on that would teach them all a lesson and give you enough time to snatch the egg. Perhaps she's eating the eggs because she's lacking something nutritionally. Do her feathers look to be in good condition? Good luck, hopefully someone with more experience will chime in soon.

yes thanks for that...I thought about getting a hard fake egg....I might try that...

my girls get Countryside organic feed, grain bread and fresh collards every day so I hope she is getting everything she needs....

You either need to remove her from the flock at once (the behaviour is very catchy) or use roll-nests so the eggs roll to safety under a ledge.

Mustard and chilli in eggs is often recommended as a cure, but to be honest I've never found it to work longer than a couple days.

If it was just one hen I'd remove her.

I've got a post up on my blog about how to retrain hens that have become egg eaters, but it's easier just to start again unless the birds are very special.

good luck,
Erica

Cull her first before she really has the others trained. Then try to retrain her. If she can't be trained then a more permanent separation.

oh no! So it can catch on...? I don't want that...i am so mad at her...why do they do this? I might have to put her in jail...but she will just eat her egg in there...

Great thanks for that...I will try it. It is hard to get the eggs before she eats them as I work and she seems to eat it as soon as she lays it.mmustard eggs are coming....watch out Sydney!

Back
Top Bottom