Egg eating chickens

I just evict the ones I catch in the act before they teach more hens to compete for the broken egg.
Let them free range totally. After time goes by and they don't eat eggs from the free range boxes they get returned to population. If they do keep eating from the free bird box, they go bye bye.

I was having this issue recently, I bought rubber eggs from eBay and put loads in their nests and I have not been aware of any yolk on faces, empty shells etc since and I have been getting more eggs, so I think it has been effective, perhaps your chickens can tell golf balls from eggs..

I have layer crumbles in the coop at all times. I throw them scraps and scratch once to twice a day. They have a huge chicken pen and coop and the oyster shel is separate also. I stood in the coop and grabbed the egg as soon as she layer one this am. But I can only do that on my days off. She was not a happy camper. I just fed them some cheese.

Space stress could be a factor too.
How many birds do you have....and how old are they?
How big is your coop and run, in feet by feet?
My coop is huge. I only have 3 birds
Space stress could be a factor too.
How many birds do you have....and how old are they?
How big is your coop and run, in feet by feet?
My coop is at least 50 ft by 50 ft. And I only have 3 birds

I was having this issue recently, I bought rubber eggs from eBay and put loads in their nests and I have not been aware of any yolk on faces, empty shells etc since and I have been getting more eggs, so I think it has been effective, perhaps your chickens can tell golf balls from eggs..
I will look into it.

If you only have three hens then you might only have one eating the eggs. Is there any way to separate the girls for a few days into individual cages? That way you know who is eating their own eggs.

If you only have three hens then you might only have one eating the eggs. Is there any way to separate the girls for a few days into individual cages? That way you know who is eating their own eggs.
All 3 are eating them I caught all 3 at once :(

Back
Top Bottom