Egg eating chickens

Following.
I got my first Silkie egg this morning and it was topped off and essentially empty. Just got the birds on ? Sunday from a reputable? show breeder. Hoping this isn't a habit of the oldest hen. I've NEVER had this issue with my previous chickens and its very disappointing after a 3 year hiatus. (There are 2 young not laying yet hens, and a rooster as well as the 1 yr. old hen)

I have a camera but not close up. Guess I'll start watching like a hawk. I just finished their new (used to be a little 4 x 8 goat house) turned 2 story coop and was about to move them.. NOW I worry I may need to cull a hen.

Keep writing! :):) I'm with you and watching. I'll update here too.

I just started having a similar problem, except only one (so far) hen seems to be the culprit. I am going to rewatch a video re blowing out the content of an egg and try filling it with mustard. Will post results
Why mustard? Why not a-1 type hot sauce?

Why mustard? Why not a-1 type hot sauce?
Birds do not have capsaicin receptors, so don't detect 'spicy hot' stuff, like mustard or hot sauce.
That's why red pepper flakes works in wild bird feeder to keep squirrels and other mammals away.

Maybe not for you ...but, for us.
Why would you want to take the chance?
Monkey see...monkey do.
Have read way too many stories about folks feeding empty half shells to their chickens, with no resultant egg eating. Guy I used to chicken sit for showed me to take any cracked eggs and bust them on the floor of the coop, those birds also never tried to eat any intact eggs. Have also had my birds eat weak and thus broken eggs in the nest but not touch solid shelled eggs.

Birds do not have capsaicin receptors, so don't detect 'spicy hot' stuff, like mustard or hot sauce.
That's why red pepper flakes works in wild bird feeder to keep squirrels and other mammals away.

Have read way too many stories about folks feeding empty half shells to their chickens, with no resultant egg eating. Guy I used to chicken sit for showed me to take any cracked eggs and bust them on the floor of the coop, those birds also never tried to eat any intact eggs. Have also had my birds eat weak and thus broken eggs in the nest but not touch solid shelled eggs.
Well, heck. Obviously I was unaware of the capsaicin receptor lack in the avian world🤭. However I did do a credible job hollowing the eggs so not all is a total waste. Um, is there an option other than removal of crazy EE?

Back
Top Bottom