Egg eating (Need Help)!

bledsoe95

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 8, 2011
Oakwood, Virginia
I caught some of my hens eating a egg i have gave them eggs filled with soap & mustard, but i dont think it helped. So how else to stop egg eating, & what causes them to start?

Last edited:
Quote:
Protein deficiency, boredom, overcrowding, a learned habit -- who knows. Soem people have had success with putting lots of golf balls in the nests, and some with hanging a cloth curtain over the upper part of the nest box opening, if they open in front. The theory si they won't eat what they can't see, and they can't see in the dark.

Best long term solution is rollaway nest boxes.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3499006#p3499006

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=287684

Make sure they have access to oyster shell. If the egg shells are soft- they will break them and dispose to them...

I just saw your post about what you feed. I think your chickens are telling you they need something more- definitely more protein if all you feed is corn and scratch feed. Please go get some layer pellets and crushed oyster shell (if you have layers) or some starter/grower if they're not fully grown. I'm sorry, but unless you have a terrific, widely-varied free-ranging situation, that diet is nutritionally deficient. Others have replied the same to you on that thread- please take our advice.

Quote:
Agreed. I didn't realize you were having this issue too, but yes, it's most likely because you feed nothing but corn and scratch. They really need a big protein boost.

Best wishes, I think you'll see a real turnaround one you change their food!

Last edited:
Quote:
X2

layer feed costs about the same as the scratch/corn you are feeding them. it will provide them a better balanced diet, a few greens and a couple apples here and there will not hurt either.

good luck

Ema

I have 6 hens and they are all laying now. I feed them Layena pelleted feed in the morning, and some scratch in the afternoon [especially to keep them moving in this very cold, windy weather we have now]. I give them whatever leftovers are appropriate, such as an apple core from my lunch, lettuce I peel off for salads, stale bread, that kind of thing, when I have it, usually a couple times a week. And when it is really really really cold, I give them warm oatmeal a little bit before bedtime.

Four of them lay wonderful, big brown eggs with very hard shells. Two are laying eggs with very thin shells [osyters did nothing to help], and now one or two of the girls have started eating these weak eggs.

Would really appreciate suggestions.

We have used golf balls to stop our ladies from eating their eggs. Also we feed them egg shells, after washing them. This hardens the shells plus they love them!

I had an egg eater a month or so ago. She was eating the eggs she laid that were very soft shelled. I think the shells were breaking after she laid. The main thing I did was made sure she was getting enough oyster shell. I did most of the things mentioned above also...golf balls, put a cloth over nest boxes, got a higher protein feed, made sure I went out often to collect the eggs. Stay on top of it. Go out as much as you can to check for eggs. If there are any broken, clean up. I didn't think I'd be able to "cure" her, but it can be done. Good luck.

Hi,
I know how you feel. Three weeks ago, my chickens started eating their eggs. It was hard figuring out what to do, until I read some good advice on this forum:)
I was already feeding them lay pellets mixed w/scratch, alfalfa hay, mustard greens and oyster shells. The eggs shells were firm.
1. I put 3 egg shaped rocks and/or golf balls in each nest.
2. I put flock block in their pen.
3. I raised the entrance to their nests by 4". (The threshold that they have to step over to get in to a nest is a total of 4 inches. )
4. I cut fabric to make a cover for each nest(s) door way, they can't see very good in the dark. I used push pens to secure it at the top of each nest.
5. See if you can find the ring leader and keep her seperate for the others.
It took 3 days for things to go back to normal, after I did all that.
Yeah, I am back to collecting 10 eggs a day for my 11 hens:)
Hang in there,
Desert_Chick.

Back
Top Bottom