egg eating question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by danamillette, Oct 1, 2008.

1. danamillette

danamillette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    I think mine are just molting, but if they are eating their eggs, how would I know?
    little pieces of egg shell left?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yes and/or incriminating evidence left on their beaks. On the other hand moulting chickens make their coop look like someone shot a feather pillow in there.

3. Michigan Chickman

Michigan Chickman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    SW Michigan
    Also look for yolk on other eggs in the same box. Sometimes they're pretty good at concealing the crime [​IMG]

4. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I just went through an egg eating incident. I could tell because all signs of the egg were gone except for the mess left on other eggs and on the shavings. Even with just a broken egg I usually find some of the shell. Also,the egg mess was always in one nest and happened daily. Too much coincidence for just an accident. I blew out an egg and filed it with blue food coloring and identified the culprit that way. I trimmed her top beak,hoping that would discourage her but as soon as it grew out,she was back at it again.I caught her(marked her with blue coloring,too) and she went into the pot.

5. danamillette

danamillette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    That is an awesome idea!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by