Egg eating

Turkey parents

Songster
5 Years
Dec 2, 2015
North New Mexico
To add on to everything else going on I just caught Mars eating a fresh egg. I know of one remedy but not ready to go that route. Does anyone know what might cause her to eat her eggs? Is it a lack of something in her diet or could it be stress related?

It could be a deficiency, do you have oyster shells available. And turkeys will eat any eggs that are cracked, so she could have been doing clean up. I personally feed all turkey eggs back to my turkeys, the crack and splat method.

They enjoy them and I'm over run with eggs, chickens, ducks, turkeys. I must be the only one who wishes I didn't get so many. They also help offset the feed bill.

Got it Oldhen....was just curious. A friend of mine is a pastry chef & takes as many of my turkey eggs she can get. But if you have too many eggs....you have too many eggs! :lol:

I don't know too many people and prefer not to try to sell eggs. By the middle of the summer those I know are running from me and my eggs. I don't really want to spend time cooking eggs for poultry so I just toss them in the run, a high arking toss, they splat, and they don't resemble eggs when the birds run from everywhere to eat them. Maybe not for everyone but it works for me. Wish I knew your friend.

Well that does make me feel a little better. I've never had a turkey survive this long so I don't know much about this stage in life. Coyotes and bobcats usually clean me out by now. I really appreciate everyone's advice, I didn't really want to start a whole new thread about this but maybe it'll help others too.

They also eat "bad" eggs. If they don't eat the "bad" egg, they'll carry it to some distance from nest (one of our Slates carried one off to a distance of seventy yards from nest). Not sure how they know, but they do. Point of eating/removing is to prevent anything that might smell & attract preds to nest. If eating one egg after another after another then look to diet (as other members mentioned). Here's one "sneaking" away with one from her nest:

Back
Top Bottom