Egg eating

brahmabreeder

Songster
7 Years
Feb 22, 2012
Northeast Ohio
barnie.gif
My new hens are eating their eggs. I was outside feeding them today and my two new hens were eating the egg with my rooster. How do I stop this habit? Will the hens on the other side of the coop start eating eggs too? There is only a wire divider. Some one please help.

I just tried that and the ones that I saw devourer the egg earlier were barely wanting to eat the eggs. Now the other two hens I did to that is a different story. The big hen gobbled it up and didn't even care about the mustard. Maybe with time she will not like it. I also will be trying golf balls. BTW thank you for helping.

I have wooden eggs in every nestbox, we collect eggs often (several Xs in the morning hours), and there is a ton of available oyster shell around. Oh, and they get treats.

And I've still had the rare egg-eater. *SIGH* When it happens I collect even more frequently. This has worked (and I can return to regular collecting in a few days).

The one eating the mustard eggs probably thought, "Oh, how nice of my human to bring me condiments." Come on, chickens, get it together!

When I originally put the egg in the mustard was only on one side so I smeared it all over the inside of the egg. That didn't work because she just kept eating the egg.

Back
Top Bottom