egg exploded in bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 3 sisters farm, Sep 29, 2008.

1. 3 sisters farm

3 sisters farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    puyallup wa
    I came home from work and wondered what had died in my house. An egg exploded in the incubator and fouled some eggs...do I wash those with real goo, wipe them or what...

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Sorry... I know thats not funny, but I can just imagine what I would be like when I walked in the door... I had one explode in my face before, so I do feel your pain...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2008
  3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Guess you are done hatching for the season. Unless someone with more experience tells you different.

Yeah, you can carefully wash them, but the bacteria from the rotten egg may likely kill the rest of the eggs.

Sad to be you today.

Sorry for your loss.

4. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Quote:I would wipe them off with a warm, wet paper towel. Get them as clean as you can. Make sure to wash out the mess in the bator to. They should be fine. What day are you on?

5. 3 sisters farm

Aug 20, 2008
    puyallup wa
    I got the bator cleaned, I have 3 used and put the heavily hit eggs in my oldest bator and lined with foil, I had the plastic liners in the one I use for hatching as well as the one I use primarily for incubating. I had 3 of the heaviest hit eggs which were on day 17/now 18 pip and die...no movement, my temps and humidity were good for incubating....I was planning on putting those in the hatcher today so obviously humidity was low...I cracked one open, egg sack had not reabsorbed. They also all piped the small end of the egg...which was down as I use an egg turner (but they had spent the night on their side due to bator change)

6. 3 sisters farm

Aug 20, 2008
    puyallup wa
    I did actually get 5 of exploded upon eggs to hatch...so I have some new fuzzy butts EE's.

7. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Congrats, I am glad it was not a complete loss.

8. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    I am glad you atleast got some babies out of the hatch. Sorry about the others. [​IMG]

9. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    All I can say is:

[​IMG]

10. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Gosh, great job getting 5 to hatch! What a mess. You poor thing.

Pics please.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by