EGG HANGING OUTSIDE VENT!!!

So today she was out all day with the others and I think she might have laid and egg. It loos similar to the egg she tried to lay and was not in the nesting boxes where all the girls who are laying go but was in a little hole she had dug out next to the nesting boxes. Time will tell but I think this is her egg and if it is I am so happy lol! hopefully I will catch her in the act soon enough and confirm my thoughts :)
So glad to hear that!!! Thank the gods! LOL

Boy am I glad I found this thread! One of my new layers had an oviductal prolapse today. I had never seen (or heard of) it so was very distressed to say the least! With my hen in the sink and my hubby on Google we just weren't finding many answers. It was obvious the egg was being held in place by a very thin veinous membrane (in our case it was thin, thankfully). We were able to cut a small opening in the membrane and remove the egg. Once we washed our poor girl up and set up a secluded "recovery" bin for her I was finally able to do some research and found this thread. THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I had read about rationing feed but it hadn't occurred to me to limit day light aswell. Also, I'm thrilled to know that another hen made it through this terrible ordeal! I've applied honey to her vent for tonight. First thing tomorrow I'll pick up some antibiotics and prep H. Thanks again to everone for all the great info. This is why I love BYC!

Ended up the chicken with red bottom was going to die and the one with affected leg had a stroke (according to my very knowledgeable friend). So I sent all four back to where they came from... When I told my friend that I bought them from fosters chickens she told they they are terrible! I only wish I had co silted her before buying chickens! But we both went off and bought lovely healthy chickens today that she helped me pick! They are beauts fx they will be here for a very long egg laying time! xxx

Boy am I glad I found this thread! One of my new layers had an oviductal prolapse today. I had never seen (or heard of) it so was very distressed to say the least! With my hen in the sink and my hubby on Google we just weren't finding many answers. It was obvious the egg was being held in place by a very thin veinous membrane (in our case it was thin, thankfully). We were able to cut a small opening in the membrane and remove the egg. Once we washed our poor girl up and set up a secluded "recovery" bin for her I was finally able to do some research and found this thread. THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I had read about rationing feed but it hadn't occurred to me to limit day light aswell. Also, I'm thrilled to know that another hen made it through this terrible ordeal! I've applied honey to her vent for tonight. First thing tomorrow I'll pick up some antibiotics and prep H. Thanks again to everone for all the great info. This is why I love BYC!
I'm so happy you found this too, it's very scary finding your hen in this state. I didn't worry too much about limiting feed because she didn't really eat in the dark. She never layed an egg in her 7 day recovery. She has been out for about 4 days now and is eating, running around, roosting, and laying eggs. I'm so happy that she was able to pass her eggs just fine now. I hope to here that your girl will have the same outcome. :)

I'm so happy you found this too, it's very scary finding your hen in this state. I didn't worry too much about limiting feed because she didn't really eat in the dark. She never layed an egg in her 7 day recovery. She has been out for about 4 days now and is eating, running around, roosting, and laying eggs. I'm so happy that she was able to pass her eggs just fine now. I hope to here that your girl will have the same outcome. :)

Thank you TarMac :) I'm glad to hear your girl is still doing well! Mine just finished her first full day of seclusion and I'm already very encouraged. Her vent is looking a little swollen but mostly normal. I started her on antibiotics and a vitamin mix and the handy Preparation H lol. She can stand and walk well and I even caught her scratching and pecking at her food a little. I've been really worried about her first egg after this ordeal so I'm glad to hear yours didn't lay at all in the dark! Thank you for the encouragement and please keep those updates coming :)

That's so great! So glad she's doing well!

Back
Top Bottom