egg hatching assist, need HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by XxB0rd3rsxX10, Jul 13, 2011.

1. XxB0rd3rsxX10

XxB0rd3rsxX10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    i am incubating crested polished eggs and one egg in particular has been moving and peeping for 2 days. but it still hasnt piped its shell. i was wondering if i should pip the egg so it dosent run out of air or just leave him alone [​IMG]

if u think that i should help assist this poor chick can you please tell me how to do it without killing or hurting the baby? i really dont want to loose him/her! [​IMG]

ps: he is still peeping loudly

2. XxB0rd3rsxX10

Jul 13, 2011
    ahhhh i dont know what to do [​IMG]

3. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Well if he is peeping it still has air and is alive that's a good sign. What day are you on for the Hatch?

4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

it can take 48 hours from wiggle to pip

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    If he's peeping, he's breathing. It means he has perforated into the air cell and is preparing to pip, unless his membrane has "shrink-wrapped" him. I don't think I have ever assisted a chick who hasn't even pipped.

6. Roosterfry

Roosterfry Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2010
    North Mississippi
    done it a few times, i have discovered that a chick that is not hatching on time usually there is a issue with the chick. best advice would be let it do its thing and let nature take its course. but if you want to try and help it this is how, assuming you have been incubation at the right temperature and your at least after day 22 and into the 23rd day first find the air pocket, scrath a hole into it gently with a sharp object (CAREFULLY) make a hole then chip away small pieces of the shell over the air pocket. then do not disturb the shell around the membrane covering the chick at this point. after you romove the shell from the air pocket look for the beak and see if you can make a small pip in the mebrane to uncover its beak. after you do this let it breath through its beak for a couple hours. after two hours of breathing you should not see the blood veins as dark at this time because the blood has moved into the chick, then gently pick away shell off of the membrane and see if you can wiggly chick from the membrane slowly. but you will need a clean dry cotton somthing, t-shirt, gaus, cotton ball etc to place over the placenta opening to stop bleading if there is any, hold for at least 5 mins if bleeding occurs. then give it some sugar water with a dropper (about three drops one at a time) place it back in the incubator and let it gather it thoughts. good luck!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  7. XxB0rd3rsxX10

Jul 13, 2011
    Quote:he is one day 21 and tomarrow at 3 is day 22

8. XxB0rd3rsxX10

Jul 13, 2011
    he stopped peeping and moving last night and hasnt moved since.... is he dead? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by