Egg hatching from the top?

Jmwah_12

Songster
May 7, 2020
So I’m incubating some eggs and today a few started to pip and start making their way out. But I noticed one is hatching from the top side? I’ve hatched eggs before but only one hatched, and it came out from the bottom. Should I be concerned with this egg? I know the air sac is at the bottom and that concerns me, would I have to assist this hatch?

I know the air sac is at the bottom and that concerns me, would I have to assist this hatch?
Could be a malposition... but if it's already externally pipped.. then I'm not sure the air sac has any relevance.

Are they hatching on the right day? Were turned upright or on their side? What breed? Can you post a photo of how the egg looks now?

I personally don't help as I have caused more problems or had them survive only to need culling later on. But it's a personal choice and one that leads to lots of learning.

Sounds like things are coming along fine and you will have little peeps before too long! Wait 24 hours for your funky one to zip before helping.. they are still absorbing yolk, and blood vessels, etc.

Happy hatching! :jumpy:jumpy

Could be a malposition... but if it's already externally pipped.. then I'm not sure the air sac has any relevance.

Are they hatching on the right day? Were turned upright or on their side? What breed? Can you post a photo of how the egg looks now?

I personally don't help as I have caused more problems or had them survive only to need culling later on. But it's a personal choice and one that leads to lots of learning.

Sounds like things are coming along fine and you will have little peeps before too long! Wait 24 hours for your funky one to zip before helping.. they are still absorbing yolk, and blood vessels, etc.

Happy hatching! :jumpy:jumpy
These eggs are Thai gamefowl, I had another one that I could hear chirping last night but hasn’t cracked open yet so I’m also kinda worried about that one. But the pic is the one that’s coming upright. It seems to be doing fine for now but if anything else happens I’ll update!

Attachments

• B230B3CC-769A-426E-AF81-36256FD5372A.jpeg
    B230B3CC-769A-426E-AF81-36256FD5372A.jpeg
    170.2 KB · Views: 2
Thai gamefowl, I had another one that I could hear chirping last night but hasn’t cracked open yet so I’m also kinda worried about that one.
Oh boy, you're a nervous Nelly! :lol:

Hatching is so exciting, scary, and arduous. :barnie

Generally, it's not recommended to open the lid during hatch to prevent shrink wrapping. I guess I wasn't clear that I meant to take the photo through the lid if possible. :oops:

Maybe @WVduckchick has some hatching wisdom top add other then my "slow your roll, and take a deep a breath". TIA, hope you are well! :highfive:

Or you might pop in on one of the hatch along threads as those are often active.

Come on babies! :jumpy:jumpy

The one you hear chirping has probably internally pipped into the air cell, but hasn’t externally pipped yet. Don’t worry, it can take up to 24 hours for it to externally pip. Your malpositioned one may be able to hatch on its own, but it’ll probably take longer than if it had pipped at the correct end. Usually it can take up to 24 hours between internal and external pip, then up to 24 hours between external pip and zipping, but the malpositioned one skipped the internal step, so it may take longer to start zipping. Sometimes malpositioned chicks do get stuck, so here’s an article on assisted hatching in case you do end up needing to help. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

The one you hear chirping has probably internally pipped into the air cell, but hasn’t externally pipped yet. Don’t worry, it can take up to 24 hours for it to externally pip. Your malpositioned one may be able to hatch on its own, but it’ll probably take longer than if it had pipped at the correct end. Usually it can take up to 24 hours between internal and external pip, then up to 24 hours between external pip and zipping, but the malpositioned one skipped the internal step, so it may take longer to start zipping. Sometimes malpositioned chicks do get stuck, so here’s an article on assisted hatching in case you do end up needing to help. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/
THANK YOU! I also don’t know maybe it was me but I have 2 more that started pipping and they’re all pipping from the top as well!? Maybe I did the incubating wrong but they all seem to come from the top! I went out and came back to 2 more coming out the top so that’s a surprise

Back
Top Bottom