Egg help please!

Coturnix Quail

Songster
5 Years
Jul 3, 2016
Can you freeze a coturnix fertile egg? Will it rot? Will it die? I'm getting 12 eggs and theres only room for seven. So I was planning after I got them to put in seven, then put the rest in the freezer? Not sure about it but my father said they'd be fine, but I dont trust him
lol.png
. Thanks for replying!

I never tried it but I'm fairly certain they would die... A frozen egg tends to crack and I heard that slow freezing (like a freezer) damages cells so I would advise against it lol!

Is there any way you could fit all 12 without risking them all? Do you have one of those yellow bottom clear dome 7 egg incubators?

You could possibly fit them all on the floor since those are made for chicken sized eggs (never tried it though!) or you could make a second shelf to hold the additional 5 eggs? Being careful not to mess your ventilation...

Hmmm I'm not certain, I would probably try making one out of my 1/4 inch hardware cloth, if that wasn't good I'd try some plastic canvas or go to the dollar store and look for something I could use as a breathable shelf or make one out of what's there.

I would probably first try to set the additional eggs beside the other ones though, that would probably be your best/easiest way of fitting them all in safely without messing too much with ventilation stuff :p

But it's a risk to overload any incubator so the choice is yours ^^

Can you freeze a coturnix fertile egg? Will it rot? Will it die? I'm getting 12 eggs and theres only room for seven. So I was planning after I got them to put in seven, then put the rest in the freezer? Not sure about it but my father said they'd be fine, but I dont trust him
lol.png
. Thanks for replying!

I don't think they would hatch, but there is an old post on here from 2009 that said he hatch some. I've had some freeze in the fridge before and it cracked all of them. Just hatch 7 or you might can get 2 eggs in 1 hole since that incubator is for chicken eggs. You can always just eat the 5

Don't freeze them! Just throw them out, if you are going to freeze them in hopes of hatching them after.

Back
Top Bottom