1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg help please

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Grand-hen-ma, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Grand-hen-ma

Grand-hen-ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    Hi, I have a question I hope someone can help with. I have 12 chickens who have given me lots of eggs...until now. I know during a molt, egg production will slow. But the last couple of weeks have been very, very slow. Like today, I got 1 egg, yesterday I got 3. All my girls are under 2 years old. They always have plenty of fresh, clean water. I give them the best feed that has a complete diet. I clean their pens 2 times a day and make sure their nesting boxes are clean and poop free. No one is sick and they seem happy and healthy.

So, is this normal?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sounds pretty normal to me. First adult molt comes around ages 16 to 19 months (I've had early molters and late ones), and the decrease in daylight hours becomes another factor. They are just taking a much needed rest.

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

I agree.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Very normal. I'll bet your birds are from spring '11, correct? They're right on time to molt and quit laying completely for the winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by