Egg help

MisPatitos

Hatching
May 10, 2016
So my female started to lay yesterday. I'm thinking she's a mixed breed of some sort, Pekin and something else. She still looks like a juvenile Pekin being white and marbled brown in color. I'm not terribly sure on their age, I got them in April I believe. Her eggs are small, about the size of a chickens eggs. Could it be because she's mixed or am I not giving her something she needs? She's on a 16/17 % protein feed. Should I switch to layer? I'm gonna buy some calcium supplement as well. This is my first time keeping any type of bird so ant advice is welcome

You might also get a few weird ones, like soft shells. This is normal when they first start laying. If it persists there may be a problem but otherwise no need to worry.

The first eggs I got from mine were on the small side also. I also got eggs with no shell, only the inner membrane. I had a few that were only partially shelled. This goes away quickly and the eggs become normal sized for duck eggs. Just make sure to offer up oyster shell or other source of calcium. If they don't have an outside source the only place they have to draw from is their own bones.

Back
Top Bottom