EGG help?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by capemuscovies, Feb 21, 2017.

1. capemuscovies

capemuscovies Just Hatched

Feb 16, 2017
    Cape Coral, FL
    Long story short, I found a Muskovy duck egg on the pavement and took it home after the mother rejected it. The egg has been doing great for about three days now in my homemade incubator; wiggling, growing etc.

My problem is that I believe she may be a twin egg or double yolker. I can provide pictures, but upon candling this morning the egg seem to have two different tiny lifeforms. They wiggled around pretty independently, but I could possibly be seeing the body and head as one of the blobs was darker than the other ( even though I'm sure the neck could NOT stretch as far as to seemingly separate the blobs)?

Any advice? I am very new to hatching eggs; I have never done it before, though I have loved birds for my whole life.

:) thank you for the help!

2. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Double yolkers are notoriously difficult! They generally hatch earlier than single yolkers, and struggle with mis-pips at hatch since both ducklings rarely manage to get into position to internally pip.

I wish I had good advice, but since most of the process is hands off I don't know that there is much that can be done until it's time to assist @ hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by