Egg in an egg

moms_pantry

Songster
13 Years
Apr 15, 2008
Today I got my third egg in an egg. The outside egg is HUGE. Almost the size of of a goose egg. It has always been broken. The inside egg is a normal sized egg. Has anyone ever heard of that happening before? The first picture is with one of my regular sized eggs next to it. The 2nd picture I turned the large egg so you can see the other egg inside. In the 3rd picture I took the inside egg out of the large egg and placed it on the right side. Today the shell was a little more broken than it was the last time. Any ideas?

I have never had it happen to me but I did watch a video (YouTube maybe). The one in the video both eggs are in tact. I can't offer any suggestions but I know your not alone.:)

Thanks. I am hoping that she lays one that is intact. The outer egg is so large though, I am not sure that she can. Then, what would I do with it? lol

Thanks. I am hoping that she lays one that is intact. The outer egg is so large though, I am not sure that she can. Then, what would I do with it? lol
I wish I had taken a picture of the egg before I peeled it. It was HUGE. Poor Oreo was in that nest-box for close to 4 hours, and she was panting hard by the time it plopped out (I can relate, having given birth to twins).

What to do with it? We ate it. It was absolutely yummy. Actually, we ate both of them. nothing wrong with them, other than being a little weird.

I've heard about this actually happening to humans as well, so I guess it's a flaw of nature. I've heard of something called an absorbed twin or something like that. Some kids, when tested genetically, have been shown to have the genetic material for themselves, as well as for a twin that was somehow absorbed at the early embryonic stages. Now a chicken is a far simpler organism, but I wonder if it's a similar phenomenon - where a smaller, lesser developed egg is absorbed by a larger egg coming down the pipe.

this is kind of interesting, and maybe it's just a coincidence: The day after laying that monster double-egg, Oreo went broody. It's almost like she said "I did all that work, I'm darned well going to be a Mommy!"

The day after laying that monster double-egg, Oreo went broody. It's almost like she said "I did all that work, I'm darned well going to be a Mommy!"
After all that hard work it was time for a rest. Poor girl.

I should have taken a picture of it in my hand so you could see actually how large it was.

I wish I knew which hen lay it. I have a lot of chickens and there is almost always a different hen on the nest when I go out there to check the nest boxes. Maybe I will be able to find out. Hopefully it will be intact next time.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom