Egg inconsistancy

madchefskills

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 23, 2011
I've been getting eggs from my freedom ranger for about ten days .Six in the first week ,then three days with none then one. I've found 2 no shell only membrane eggs for each the last two days in the coop . I'm guessing these might be "first run " from the other birds .Does a chicken go from laying good hard shelled eggs to no shell? I'm new to this so i don't know. Any help[ would be appreciated.
thanks

It happens are you feeding laying pellets? I would provide a side feeder with oyster shell. They won't eat much but will eat it when they need it.

I was planning on switching over to layer pellets when it seemed like majority were laying .Still have 1/2 bag of orgainic grower/developer.So expensive and i can't get my kids to eat it:pI have mixed in some oyster shell in the food as well as put out a side dish of it . thanks

Buy some laying pellets and mix it together with what you have left of the grower. Thats what I did, and then when the others start laying they will have a head start on the calcium.

Quote:
I keep finding these no shelled membrane eggs lately also. Usualy it will come in the form of an extra egg (6 hens and 7 eggs). I have been feeding layer and offering crushed shell and keep seeing this. Any ideas?

We have ten chickens that lay between five and ten eggs a day. Last week we found an egg that had a paper like consistancy. The shell was not hard like the rest and was broken. Then yesterday we found another one. This time the shell was formed but had this paper fine soft shell which did not harden. Can any one tell me if the chicken is sick or if this is common. They are fed oyster shell grit, layer pellets and cracked corn. I have no idea which chicken is laying the egg or even if it is the same one. Thank you so much for your help.

Back
Top Bottom