Egg internally pipped on day 17

Jul 22, 2021
Yesterday I brought a cup of ice water to the hens sitting on eggs because they were panting, they had pushed the eggs so they were right next to them touching feathers but not touching their skin and wouldn't come out of the nest boxes so I'm assuming they were trying to cool themselves while not overheating the eggs at the same time? Anyway I noticed the eggs were slightly rocking and I could hear the softest tapping sounds and could feel the tapping when touching them and I heard one chirping but no holes in the egg shell. I just went out again this morning and sat in the dark listening and hear the chick chirping still and momma making a sort of purring sound each time it chirps. It's now the morning of day 18, I didn't pull the eggs out to check anything so I don't know if it's pipped the shell or not. Is it too early for this? It's been hot here with the last 2 days breaking 100° and I know warmer temperatures can make them hatch early but how early is too early?

Yesterday I brought a cup of ice water to the hens sitting on eggs because they were panting, they had pushed the eggs so they were right next to them touching feathers but not touching their skin and wouldn't come out of the nest boxes so I'm assuming they were trying to cool themselves while not overheating the eggs at the same time? Anyway I noticed the eggs were slightly rocking and I could hear the softest tapping sounds and could feel the tapping when touching them and I heard one chirping but no holes in the egg shell. I just went out again this morning and sat in the dark listening and hear the chick chirping still and momma making a sort of purring sound each time it chirps. It's now the morning of day 18, I didn't pull the eggs out to check anything so I don't know if it's pipped the shell or not. Is it too early for this? It's been hot here with the last 2 days breaking 100° and I know warmer temperatures can make them hatch early but how early is too early?
Definitely day 17?
I have no experience with broodies but when incubating manually, a high temp can cause an early hatch. If it's been hot there, I imagine it would have the same effect! Hoping you get some healthy hatchlings soon ! :fl

Sometimes the Broodys in the summer hatch out babies a little quicker. Maybe the heat warmed them up enough before they sat on the eggs and they started incubating, or the hens are not taking breaks from sitting and the egg incubated at a higher heat.
Post some pictures of your little ones! :D

Sometimes the Broodys in the summer hatch out babies a little quicker. Maybe the heat warmed them up enough before they sat on the eggs and they started incubating, or the hens are not taking breaks from sitting and the egg incubated at a higher heat.
Post some pictures of your little ones! :D
They never came off the eggs the first week I put them out and after that I'd only see them come out once a day for 15-30 min. I wish they'd have come out an extra time each day just to get more water but I've managed to help with that. Will upload pictures as soon as I can, I'm excited to see what these chicks will look like

I just went out and Coco hatched 3 chicks so far, 1 more under her and im not sure if it's hatched yet or not, sorry for the bad picture, one is still wet like it just came out of the egg minutes ago and another is damp so I don't want to touch until they all dry.
20220516_123801_HDR.jpg
Lolly is in the the nest next door and one of her eggs has externally pipped, she had 3 eggs. I haven't checked the 3rd nest yet but she also has 3. This explains why all my chickens are making weird noises and pacing, the rooster won't come out of the coop like he's standing guard lol

Back
Top Bottom