EGG INTOLERANCE!!! How can I justify ducks?

Everose

ɪ ᴀᴍ ᴄʀᴇᴀᴛɪᴏɴ, ʙᴏᴛʜ ʜᴀᴜɴᴛᴇᴅ ᴀɴᴅ ʜᴏʟʏ.
Premium Feather Member
Jan 16, 2021
The Great Country of Texas
Hello y'all.
I have recently developed an egg intolerance...:he:hit:barnie:he:hit:barnie:he:hit:barnie

It's the most horrible thing!!! I can't eat chicken eggs! I haven't tried duck eggs yet (since my intolerance developed) and I was wondering if anyone else has an intolerance to chicken eggs but not duck eggs. I'm not talking about an allergy, it's definitely an intolerance.

I am so dead set on getting welsh harlequin ducks. I HAVE TO HAVE THEM! But since my intolerance developed I've been wondering if there's a way to justify keeping an egg laying breed of duck and (possibly) not being able to eat the eggs. I was hoping to use the eggs in gluten free baking and sell them at farmers markets, but now I just don't know. I don't really want a meat duck, I like collecting eggs and weighing them, I like the taste of the eggs, I love the ducks that lay the eggs.

Any ideas? And has anyone else developed an intolerance to eggs after eating eggs for years with no problem? Thank you in advance for sharing your ideas, opinions and experiences!

Eve

you don’t really need a reason to justify having ducks as long as you are prepared for them 🤷‍♀️

i don’t eat my (or any!!) ducks, i don’t eat or sell their eggs, and i don’t use them for anything. they are just the best pets and i love them, that’s my “reason” for keeping them ❤️
Mine will be pets, I love them. My last ducks were murdered by my other pet (rose). I have a new pen, plus I finally saved up enough to buy a new flock from a lady I know. I live on a farm though and I do need a reason to keep them (besides being pets), I can't afford to be feeding them along with other animals if they don't give something in return (that sounds horrible but it's not meant in a bad way).

My neighbor had ducks because she got sick from chicken eggs but not duck eggs. However, she later discovered it was the soy in the chicken feed which wasn’t in the duck feed that caused her intolerance. You might want to try a duck egg before you get them and see.
:yesss: omg! You just made me so excited! I'ma go look at our chicken feed and see what's in it! Hopefully I don't have issues with duck eggs, our friends have ducks I'll ask them for some eggs!

It is rare to have an egg intolerance or allergy to chicken and ducks eggs. It is possible, but unlikely. People often eat duck eggs because they can not eat chicken eggs. If you do try them, try very little the first time and see how it goes. You may be able to get some duck eggs in your area and try them. I know my local feed store sells them.

My husband is intolerant to duck eggs, but can eat chicken eggs just fine.

It is rare to have an egg intolerance or allergy to chicken and ducks eggs. It is possible, but unlikely. People often eat duck eggs because they can not eat chicken eggs. If you do try them, try very little the first time and see how it goes. You may be able to get some duck eggs in your area and try them. I know my local feed store sells them.

My husband is intolerant to duck eggs, but can eat chicken eggs just fine.
I wouldn't be worried about duck eggs at all if it weren't for my mom. She developed an egg intolerance after awhile just like I did. When I was first getting into ducks we tried a dozen eggs that a friend gave us, the first time she had pretty much no reaction...the second time wasn't so nice! She was doubled over in pain and was unable to get up and function, the reaction lasted for hours and ever since then she will not touch any eggs. She can normally take enzymes and be just fine with eggs, but duck eggs was a different story.

I wouldn't be worried about duck eggs at all if it weren't for my mom. She developed an egg intolerance after awhile just like I did. When I was first getting into ducks we tried a dozen eggs that a friend gave us, the first time she had pretty much no reaction...the second time wasn't so nice! She was doubled over in pain and was unable to get up and function, the reaction lasted for hours and ever since then she will not touch any eggs. She can normally take enzymes and be just fine with eggs, but duck eggs was a different story.
That's a bummer. Sounds like you both are in that rare category. My husband has lost his taste for eggs after his powerful response to the duck eggs.

Otherwise, they are good pest control. Some breeds are better at it than others.

You could also have an all drake flock if you don’t want eggs. I justified getting ducks by saying they’ll help eat mosquitoes/larva. Bug control is a great reason ☺️
I've had all drake flocks in the past, they're fun. We do have pretty durn big mosquitos out here in Texas but I wouldn't be able to let them free range completely because we have coyotes, owls, hawks, buzzards, alligators, a secret pond that I don't want them to discover, tons of hunting dogs that run around without leashes (bcuz our neighbors are friggin awesome like that), raccoons, armadillos, snakes, hunters and taxidermists. I have to keep them in a run☹️

Back
Top Bottom