EGG INTOLERANCE!!! How can I justify ducks?

I've had all drake flocks in the past, they're fun. We do have pretty durn big mosquitos out here in Texas but I wouldn't be able to let them free range completely because we have coyotes, owls, hawks, buzzards, alligators, a secret pond that I don't want them to discover, tons of hunting dogs that run around without leashes (bcuz our neighbors are friggin awesome like that), raccoons, armadillos, snakes, hunters and taxidermists. I have to keep them in a run☹️
Boo. I let ours free range most of the day and at night they’re locked up. They do have an uncovered run, and both that we’ve lost to predators have been while in their run.

Boo. I let ours free range most of the day and at night they’re locked up. They do have an uncovered run, and both that we’ve lost to predators have been while in their run.
I lost Sir William Wallace braveheart in the run at night. Believe me when I say that free-range ducks won't fare well here. Our neighbors have one duck, the owls are to thank for that. Our last drake that we had was murdered by what I think was a nine banded armadillo. And we had a chicken swooped up not too long ago and then dropped (she's fine now but she did suffer some injury) because she was free-range. Our cat suffered a strange and traumatic injury, her back leg was broken in two places and it took an fho to save her life. Coyotes just chased my dogs back into the yard like a week ago (my dogs are escape artists). Our neighbor hired a guy to do some work and that same guy stole our other neighbors cameras, hundreds of dollars was lost. And some buzzards were just in the area of what would be my duck run, they were fighting over an armadillo carcass.

I love my ducks too much to allow them to free-range, I will have an enormous covered (by cattle panel) run for them though

Also I have lost too many ducks to freak accidents and predators, these next ones will live in a bubble, maybe some titanium panels too. I also don't want to lose all my money (that's the city in me).

Also I have lost too many ducks to freak accidents and predators, these next ones will live in a bubble, maybe some titanium panels too. I also don't want to lose all my money (that's the city in me).

I have ducks, and sell their eggs to a couple of people who can not eat chicken eggs. At the local Farmer's Market, duck eggs sell for $9.00/dozen. I sell them for $8 to people who drive over and pick them up, better for both of us! If you need an excuse to keep ducks, go to your local Farmer's Market and see if they sell duck eggs, and for how much. You might be able to sell hatching eggs or ducklings, too. Ducks eat more than chickens, the eggs need to be worth more!

I have ducks, and sell their eggs to a couple of people who can not eat chicken eggs. At the local Farmer's Market, duck eggs sell for $9.00/dozen. I sell them for $8 to people who drive over and pick them up, better for both of us! If you need an excuse to keep ducks, go to your local Farmer's Market and see if they sell duck eggs, and for how much. You might be able to sell hatching eggs or ducklings, too. Ducks eat more than chickens, the eggs need to be worth more!
Next time I'm in town on the weekend I'll definitely look into that. Everyone out here has chickens, I've met like four people with ducks. I think I have a good chance with the ducks, but people around here are also super old fashioned (hence the chickens) and will probably be scared to eat something that came out of a duck butt😂

Next time I'm in town on the weekend I'll definitely look into that. Everyone out here has chickens, I've met like four people with ducks. I think I have a good chance with the ducks, but people around here are also super old fashioned (hence the chickens) and will probably be scared to eat something that came out of a duck butt😂
Well they eat the stuff from chickens butts so....

We are a tourist area in the summer, the city people keep the price up! One of my duck egg customer has a second home up here and she thinks $8 is a bargain compared to Phoenix. Asian people there love duck & duck eggs.

Back
Top Bottom