egg is making peep sounds, HOW LONG can chick stay in there and not suffocate.

mg15

Crowing
11 Years
Aug 22, 2012
Dottie is sitting on eggs and one of them is peeping inside the shell.

1. How long does it take for the chick to come out of the shell after the peeps start.

• Will the chick die in the shell from no air?
  • How long can the chick stay in the shell....and not die. ?
  • I have panic attacks now.
  • I have never done this before nor has Dottie the Japanese bantam, and the eggs are not hers, they are fertile eggs from elsewhere. Oh, my.....help......

Oops sorry.....
Sometimes 24 hours or more!
Chick will breath in the air cell. They need this time to exercise their lungs.
Be patient! It can be a slow process! Nature knows best. Just don't stress the process. Best of luck!

Oops sorry.....
Sometimes 24 hours or more!
Chick will breath in the air cell. They need this time to exercise their lungs.
Be patient! It can be a slow process! Nature knows best. Just don't stress the process. Best of luck!
Thank you so very much. "just don't stress the process" absolutely true...

I know its hard not to stress and watching them struggle to get out of egg is tough but hang on and keep us posted. The worst is after 25 days and no hatch opening up the egg to see when it went wrong. Cross your fingers!

Two eggs hatched last nite.
Dottie is sitting like mad on the remaining 4 eggs. I don't hear peeps from those eggs.
But, she wants to sit on them.
Today is DAy 24.
The first egg hatched about 10 p.m. and the little yellow fella in the middle of the nite while I slept.
Dottie is in the bedroom in a rubbermaid dishpan on top of the clothes tower. I have a step ladder
so I can see what's going on. I took her off the two chicks for about three minutes so she could do her business.
I took pictures.
My fear's so far have not even come close to my imagination that everything was going to go wrong.
Here are some pictures !!!!

this is Dottie, Japanese bantam plus she was a runt.

First chick to arrive.

The yellow and black one hatched while I was sleeping. Truly totally AMAZING.
I will keep you all posted about the 4 remaining eggs. Thank you.

I have two broody silkies that have hatched 9 chicks between them over the last week. Yesterday they started leaving their nest that still had 9 eggs. I candled the remaining eggs and saw that 7 are still viable. One has already started hatching--with a very strong peep too. However, the hens age NOT sitting on the nest today. Will the remaining eggs hatch if the hens only sit on them at night? And what about the little hatchling that is trying to be born now?
Any advise, insight would be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom