egg is stuck inside skin and is hanging on the hens bottom

Quote:
I have the same question as above. I think I have read where after being stitched around the vent if they heal, the chance of prolapse decreases.

I actually think a stretch of a few hours at once may be preferable. I have a poor Cochin hen who has an internal laying problem and I try to limit her light. She stays in a dimly lit area most of the day, and still has an interest in food and has the chance to interact with me periodically through the day. Then I take her out for a period in the evening when the light is not so bright outside. She gets a chance to spend time with the other chickens, sand bath and forage.

big_smile.png
We are so happy for you and Rosie. I've been sharing the story of Rosie with my friends here at work.
Some I believe initially thought we were all kind of 'tetched-in-the-head'...but as the situation has progessed I've had people asking how that little Alabama Chicken is doing. I think the restricted light thing is a good idea but as your days don't shorten to the extent that ours do up here in Everett, WA...I wonder if you would concider a house chicken? Yes, I am a wierd old hippie but they do make little chicken diapers so she could have some 'free range' time in the house. Just a thought.

Last edited:
the3ofus+oursixchicks :

oh no i cant she is my pet and i love her. what if i mess up and cut her wrong and it all goes wrong

you will either have to operate or cull.. if she remains eggbound she will die a painful death anyway. take her to a vet if you cannot do it yourself.​

Quote:
you will either have to operate or cull.. if she remains eggbound she will die a painful death anyway. take her to a vet if you cannot do it yourself.

She does not want to cull rosey and she has taken her to the vet already.

Quote:
you will either have to operate or cull.. if she remains eggbound she will die a painful death anyway. take her to a vet if you cannot do it yourself.

She does not want to cull rosey and she has taken her to the vet already.

that swhat i was thinking i have already taken her and come back hmmmm

ok we went outside for probably hour and half. she couldnt wait to get out of that ole tub. she wasnt very very active. she is still sore i think. now she is back in. so all of you think i should do about 3 hours at a time maybe. i may do it slowly until the weekend is over. she is still not feeling just top limb so i think i will keep it slow. but she did gobble up the grasshoppers today. i am terrified she may try to lay again. he said he didnt feel one so thats great!

scratch'n'peck :

Quote:
I have the same question as above. I think I have read where after being stitched around the vent if they heal, the chance of prolapse decreases.

I actually think a stretch of a few hours at once may be preferable. I have a poor Cochin hen who has an internal laying problem and I try to limit her light. She stays in a dimly lit area most of the day, and still has an interest in food and has the chance to interact with me periodically through the day. Then I take her out for a period in the evening when the light is not so bright outside. She gets a chance to spend time with the other chickens, sand bath and forage.

so you think maybe 3 to 4 hours but in the evening?​

Back
Top Bottom