egg is stuck inside skin and is hanging on the hens bottom

thumbsup.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

this morning rosey has a clump of poop stuck to her vent. i tried to get it off but not much i dont want to do anything to bother her bottom. maybe its because she is having to lay down and sleep insted of roost. do yall think i should try to make her some sort of roost? i need advice on a better place for her, since she is going to have to be like this til nov. any advice?

you might be able to rig up a little roost with some bricks and a stick. With her being inside it wouldn't have to be very high, just enough to get her "off the ground" you might say.
And I'm glad to hear she's better. Praying for a full recovery, whether she ever lays an egg or not. We just want her healthy.

the3ofus+oursixchicks :

this morning rosey has a clump of poop stuck to her vent. i tried to get it off but not much i dont want to do anything to bother her bottom. maybe its because she is having to lay down and sleep insted of roost. do yall think i should try to make her some sort of roost? i need advice on a better place for her, since she is going to have to be like this til nov. any advice?

You'll need to get it off if it's blocking the vent. Warm water on a cloth to soften and loosen. Yes I would give her something to roost on, also. You're such a good chicken momma! Hang in there, you're doing great!​

i got some of it off but some of it is not budging right now. so i put olive oil and vasaline on her bottom to maybe let it set a few min. you can tell she doesnt feel good today. i have her outside right now but sjhisnt in the yard eating she is just standing on the poarch. should i bring her in?

the3ofus+oursixchicks :

Quote:
yes they just called and he said to keep doing her like that with the light until about the 2nd week of nov. and then it should be fine. i would as k does that mean she wont lay any, or does that mean if she does lay any they will be ok. i dont really think he can answer those questions with a flat answer. he would prob. say we hope she doesnt or we hope they will come out right next time.

I think the vet means that she will hopefully be healed enough to lay egg without prolapse. Even though by the second week in November there will be less daylight, so she may not really be triggered to lay an egg, it might have the potential to lay an egg. I know my Orpington hens occasionally lay an egg in the winter.

My Internal layer Cochin, Colette, is in a 28 x 40 dog crate lined with cardboard and has just a 2x4 that isn't even raised that she like to perch on. It raises her butt off the ground just enough for her to keep it out of any bedding that she dirties.

I have had occasions when there has been more than one bird in the "infirmary" and I have used a great big cardboard box that I had lying around. I used an exacto knife (a serrated knife can work too) to cut out "windows" on the sides and then cut a piece of thick cardboard to line the bottom of the box before I put in the bedding. We tend to have a lot of extra cardboard around, so I would cut out multiple liners and exchange them out as needed.​

scratch'n'peck :

the3ofus+oursixchicks :

Quote:
yes they just called and he said to keep doing her like that with the light until about the 2nd week of nov. and then it should be fine. i would as k does that mean she wont lay any, or does that mean if she does lay any they will be ok. i dont really think he can answer those questions with a flat answer. he would prob. say we hope she doesnt or we hope they will come out right next time.

I think the vet means that she will hopefully be healed enough to lay egg without prolapse. Even though by the second week in November there will be less daylight, so she may not really be triggered to lay an egg, it might have the potential to lay an egg. I know my Orpington hens occasionally lay an egg in the winter.

My Internal layer Cochin, Colette, is in a 28 x 40 dog crate lined with cardboard and has just a 2x4 that isn't even raised that she like to perch on. It raises her butt off the ground just enough for her to keep it out of any bedding that she dirties.

I have had occasions when there has been more than one bird in the "infirmary" and I have used a great big cardboard box that I had lying around. I used an exacto knife (a serrated knife can work too) to cut out "windows" on the sides and then cut a piece of thick cardboard to line the bottom of the box before I put in the bedding. We tend to have a lot of extra cardboard around, so I would cut out multiple liners and exchange them out as needed.

what is an internal layer? by what you describe she is in a low light situation?​

Back
Top Bottom