egg is stuck inside skin and is hanging on the hens bottom

the3ofus+oursixchicks :

why is her comb turning purple in spots?

The most logical reason i could find for this was a posting on another website that said it was normal if the chicken has had a shock or recent loss of blood. I thInk being eggbound and visiting vets could be agitating her and causing the comb discoloring. Other reasons suggested they could have frost bite or heart illness. I think the likely possibility is that it is just from stress.​

Quote:
i would say find a dish tub or something just big enough, and put enough warm water in it to stand in and get water just above her vent. (make sure it's warm enough for her to be comfortable, their body temp is 100+) if it were me, i'd just use my hand to gently rub away what loosens under water every couple minutes for maybe 15 minutes, rinse her good to make sure none of the bits are stuck to feathers or anything and dry her off and back to bed for a while. do that a couple times and she should be cleaned up soon enough. as long as you get enough cleaned so she can poop again, she doesn't have to be spotless right away. but cleaner is better for her healing stitched area of course...

I've heard some people say they use dish liquid to bathe chickens, but don't have any experience with that myself. but maybe google it. a nice warm bubblebath always does a girl good IMO. LOL and i would think soapy water would help kill any germs and help break up the lump faster? but make sure you rinse her good if you do soap, as you don't want her eating any when she preens.

X2

hugs.gif

the3ofus+oursixchicks :

ok i can NOT get all the dried poop off the vent i dont know what to do.

I looked this up, and found this information on "pasting up"

Pasting Up
As you move your baby chicks from their shipping box into their brooder kit (which you've set up and heated in advance, of course!), check them for "pasting up", a condition in which their droppings cake up and block their vent opening, preventing them from passing any more droppings. This problem will be pretty obvious; you won't have to go poking around their insides to see it. The dried poo will be stuck to their outside, totally or partially covering their vent. This is a deadly condition and must be resolved with immediately. We recommend you apply a warm, wet paper towel to their rears and then use a toothpick to clear the blockage. In especially bad cases you may have to dunk the chick's rear in warm water before it will loosen up enough to remove it. Your chick will complain, loudly, but stand fast in your determination knowing that the chick will die if you don't! Then, dry the chick off with a blow dryer and immediately return her to the brooder kit with the others. And keep checking the birds that presented with this problem, for it often returns throughout the first week.

This would also apply to older chickens. Hope it helps, bless you!​

I know this would probably gross some people out, but I use the dish sprayer in my kitchen sink (with no dishes in sink, of course).

I set the water so that it feels slightly warm to my hands, then I hold the chick just above the sink bottom (or place the chicken in the sink, holding gently), and keep the sprayer pointed at the booty area.

I move the sprayer around pointed at the poo at different angles, once it softens up from the water, to help work it out of the feathers. It might take a few minutes to get it all softened up and removed, but this way I know I am not hurting the chicken, by pulling or prying at anything, as the moving water does all the work for me in a much gentler manner.

the3ofus+oursixchicks :

rosey is 25 weeks so she isnt little any more. but i plan to put her in warm water tomorrow. thanks you guys!!! i need all the help i can get

Were you able to clear the vent though? Pasting up is something you don't want happening to any chicken, as the vent needs to be open to eliminate. Good luck, and go Rosie!​

the3ofus+oursixchicks :

rosey is 25 weeks so she isnt little any more. but i plan to put her in warm water tomorrow. thanks you guys!!! i need all the help i can get

just a reminder, if she can't poop she's likley to get very sick... all that stuff's gotta go somewhere. if it can't go out, it's likely to go up the egg chute.

so the sooner you clean her up the happier she'll be for sure.

and the idea with the sprayer is a great one. i had thought of that but then thought... no, everyone would go 'ick' or laugh at my suggestion... LOL but that's what soap's for.​

the3ofus+oursixchicks :

oh no i cant she is my pet and i love her. what if i mess up and cut her wrong and it all goes wrong

Maybe you can take her to a bird vet or a farm vet? They will know what to do.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom